Schrade SCHF1 Extreme Survival Knife...what to put in handle?

geegee

Gold Member
I just bought one of these from another forum member and would be interested in seeing if any of you that currently own one, have replaced the issued hexhead/screwdrivers kept in the hollow handle? Do you carry it as it came from Schrade or have you put other items in there? And if you have any comments on the knife itself, feel free to weigh in. I'm also thinking of replacing it's sheath with a custom kydex and would like to know if anyone has done that, too.

I'd put a $100.00 bill in the handle. Weighs next to nothing, doesn't take much space, and can save your butt in a lot of situations.
100 bucks is a good idea but I wouldn't put a 100 dollar bill in there. Use smaller denominations. Nothing like walking out of the bush in front of a 7-11 and the clerk not able to sell you anything cause he can't change it.:D

I know nothing of the knife though.

100 bucks is a good idea but I wouldn't put a 100 dollar bill in there. Use smaller denominations. Nothing like walking out of the bush in front of a 7-11 and the clerk not able to sell you anything cause he can't change it.:D

I know nothing of the knife though.

You should probably include different denominations of different countries currency. Nothing like walking out of the bush in front of a 7-11 and the Albanian clerk not being able to sell you anything cause he can't use your American Dollars.

P.S.: You drink way too many Slurpies if your survival kit includes funds to buy a Slurpie after being lost in the bush. Not make a call (uses coins), not get a taxi, not go buy a cheeseburger, A SLURPIE!

some pics of the knife/handle would help.
Here's the best website I could find googling, with a view of the the knife and also with it's cap removed.

Link removed.
Ken C.
Super Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
fill it with a dozen Spyderco Bugs. :D

but seriously, firekit is probably a god idea, but i'd probably also mount a pistol mag pouch to the sheath to expand the storage volume.

i've known some people to put 1/10th oz gold coins in the handles of their CRKs and Randalls. sometimes with bills and a fishing kit.

Fire starter, hooks, fishing line, drill out the cap for more room

couple storm-proof matches (and striker), ferro rod, p-38, button compass (unless one is on the cap), needle with some thread on it, and whatever else (survival related) you can stuff in there. and I second caine with drilling out the cap for more room.

Last edited:
images

I have the SCHF1 and the smaller version that matches it. Both great knives. They keep a very good edge and are very tough for the money. I have would suggest a firesteel in the handle and maybe a fishing kit. I usually keep the kits in the sheath and the handles empty. Several of the models are very nice. Try out the SCHF9. Great blade!

I just got one, had to work on the edge a bit, and now quite sharp. I removed the tools from the handle, and the weight reduction is noticable. Feels much better in hand now. If I drill out the cap, will I be removing plastic or metal? I cant exactly tell what is in the center.

Tinder,Potassium permanganate & Most of all: Water purification Tablets.
Just anything small that has to be dry.

You should probably include different denominations of different countries currency. Nothing like walking out of the bush in front of a 7-11 and the Albanian clerk not being able to sell you anything cause he can't use your American Dollars.

P.S.: You drink way too many Slurpies if your survival kit includes funds to buy a Slurpie after being lost in the bush. Not make a call (uses coins), not get a taxi, not go buy a cheeseburger, A SLURPIE!
Every place I've ever been where I had to worry about survival always took American money.
Afghani didn't like the new hundreds for a few months but came around pretty quick when you told them that was it.
Matches for the win.

Back