Schrade SCHF42 Raven Is Discontinued

Mistwalker

Gold Member
***EDIT: I Have Since Terminated the Licensing Agreement For This model, the SCHF42D Mockinbird and The SCHF55 Blackbird Based on The Very Poor Business Practices Of Smith & Wesson Owned BTI Tools (Battenfield Technologies Inc.), The New Owners of Schrade, And How Poorly I was Treated By Them. Also To Keep Them From Being Produced In China In The Near Future As A Part Of What I Have Been Told Is Their New Game Plan of All Low Cost Chinese Manufacture Of Their Pieces Across The Board In The Near Future. These Models Are Now Discontinued. See Posts #286
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-schrade-schf55-blackbird-is-discontinued.1602234/page-15#post-19290938

And post #293 In The SCHF55 Blackbird Thread For More Details On The Situation
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...is-discontinued.1602234/page-15#post-19293058***

You Can See This Post For Details
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...en-discontinued.1602234/page-15#post-19290938

Last edited:
Why did you choose Schrade to make your knives?
They don’t have the best reputation

Because their history hasn't always been bad, and because after testing the first one of my designs they made in 2009 of 1095 steel in Taiwan for a few years, and hearing the results of lots of other people doing their own independent testing, their heat treat was being consistently good all through those years. At that time a US maker I had worked with and had actually drawn that design with intentions of producing through, was struggling with a few serious internal issues, and some bad issues with heat treat inconsistencies, and I had no way of knowing if or when any of that was going to be resolved. So, since it was my best option at the time, of doing in production what I wanted in a quality level to stand up to abuse and still be affordable, I turned to another company I had a longer history with. No they don't have the best reputation, but we have been working on that, and I think with the new ownership there is a much better chance at working on their reputation. I have a friend who will make tweaked customs in his amazing CPM S35VN, wonderful grinds, and excellent ergonomics. He does excellent work overall, and I use his knives in my research and in class instruction, but his version costs 10 times as much.

I really appreciate you taking the time to articulate your story and design influences. Quite honestly I had not looked at these knives closely until reading this thread.

After reading your posts and thought process I am intrigued. It’s always so much more enriching for me to purchase a product and support the brand when you know a little bit more about its history and appreciate its uniqueness.

Thanks again!

That was quite an effort Brian to put that together. You explained your reasons for the design elements very well. I am also glad that you are happy with Schrade.

I'll probably read through it a couple times before commenting further.

From your history, it seems that your Mother was in Chattanooga and that is primarily why you ended up there. You have a brother and where was he when all this homelessness was going on? That part of your tale is really interesting and something I have a problem even really identifying with at all not that I have had a sheltered life, just have almost always worked and grew up in a stable home.

How did you ever get to the point of designing a knife that a company like Schrade was willing to produce for you? Did Ethan Becker have anything to do with your getting hooked up with manufacturers? I guess you know that Ethan has moved to Montana from Tennessee now or in the process of doing so.

Mistwalker Mistwalker : Thanks for this. I found it very interesting and also convincing enough that against earlier expectations I've found myself ordering an SCHF42 rather than the SCHF42D I thought I might. Your SCHF55 actually suits me better (which is why I have two of those :) ) but I do have a place for this one. And a place I I'd likely have filled with a considerably more expensive knife if I'd not run across your postings.

Schrade should pay you money!

(Oh, I guess they already did. :) - I hope it was a lot, but in the way of the world it probably wasn't.)

...Mike

Thanks for sharing, great job!

Thank you, glad you liked the post!

Excellent post Brother!!

Thank you Bill, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Nice looking blade and a good read to go with it!

Thanks man! Have you been out at Prentice Cooper lately? I haven't been since I messed my leg up last year and need to get back out there.

great write ups and pics, Sir. good readin'.

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it!

I really appreciate you taking the time to articulate your story and design influences. Quite honestly I had not looked at these knives closely until reading this thread.

After reading your posts and thought process I am intrigued. It’s always so much more enriching for me to purchase a product and support the brand when you know a little bit more about its history and appreciate its uniqueness.

Thanks again!

Thank you! I'm the same way. I'm a history buff, so I always like learning the stories behind how things come to be.

That was quite an effort Brian to put that together. You explained your reasons for the design elements very well. I am also glad that you are happy with Schrade.

I'll probably read through it a couple times before commenting further.

From your history, it seems that your Mother was in Chattanooga and that is primarily why you ended up there. You have a brother and where was he when all this homelessness was going on? That part of your tale is really interesting and something I have a problem even really identifying with at all not that I have had a sheltered life, just have almost always worked and grew up in a stable home.

How did you ever get to the point of designing a knife that a company like Schrade was willing to produce for you? Did Ethan Becker have anything to do with your getting hooked up with manufacturers? I guess you know that Ethan has moved to Montana from Tennessee now or in the process of doing so.

Thanks man, I've been working on my autobiography for the last 6 months, so the story is a lot easier to think about since I have been writing it all out. Yes, mom was born here, and I was too. I left here at age 9 the first time, and several times after, but the hills kept calling me back. My brother was an adult by the time mom was killed, but he had (has) very severe anger management issues from growing up with mom early on. He had a different father and apparently his dad couldn't deal with mom either. So between his anger at that and his anger at mom he had serious anger and took them out on me. That in turn cause me to loath him and just not care about him one way or another. I was glad when he was grown and moved out and we stopped talking for years after he did. Then we tried talking again later and I even built his house for him about 12 years ago, but we parted ways again a few years ago when he put his greed ahead of my daughter's well being and we haven't spoken since. Other than I do honestly appreciate him teaching me how to take pain and how to not fear people bigger than me when I was little, I have no further interest in him.

As for Schrade, that came from me writing Morgan years ago question the wisdom of his choices concerning knife designs and blade steels for a company I had once loved. He called my bluff and now the four designs I have done for them have been among some of their best sellers for the last decade.

I know he is moving, I've been meaning to call him. The recent divorce and the busted leg really made last year being my first year of single dad round two quite a challenge and I have had my hands full...

Thanks for the story of the 42.
You have had an interesting life.

Is there a story behind the SCHF 9?

Thank you. Yes it has been an interesting one, hopefully folks will enjoy reading it when I get through writing it all out. The 9 has the same history essentially, it just was designed with long term survival and offensive defensive uses in mind so it is more of a beast. The 42 is a more refined version of a lot of those thoughts in a lighter package.

Mistwalker Mistwalker : Thanks for this. I found it very interesting and also convincing enough that against earlier expectations I've found myself ordering an SCHF42 rather than the SCHF42D I thought I might. Your SCHF55 actually suits me better (which is why I have two of those :) ) but I do have a place for this one. And a place I I'd likely have filled with a considerably more expensive knife if I'd not run across your postings.

Schrade should pay you money!

(Oh, I guess they already did. :) - I hope it was a lot, but in the way of the world it probably wasn't.)

...Mike

Thank you Mike! I greatly appreciate you support. Schrade treat has treated me okay over the years, and that seems to be continuing even with the new ownership.

Wow, excellent write-up. For what all of your Schrade knives cost, I really cannot think of better all around "toughness" knives available. One of these, a Mora or small thin-bladed folding knife for delicate tasks, and you're set 100%. I own (and use) more expensive knives sometimes, but I've really enjoyed both the 42 and 55 that I own, as we've talked about before. I don't own one of the SCHF9's, and that's only because I already have several larger fixed blades that fulfill that exact sort of niche in my various camping loadouts. Of course, at the price they go for, I'll probably still end up with one at some point.

Back