Schrade+ steel

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by HM, Jul 7, 2000.

1. HM

HM

Dec 11, 1999
    It was a long time puzzling question to me:
    What steel are exactly the high carbon steel and the Schrade+ steel used for the knives?
    Thanks,

HM

2. Cerilla

Cerilla

Mar 15, 2000
    I hope this gets answered quickly. I've been wondering the same thing for years. I heard the carbon steel is 1095, but I am not sure of that.

3. bansidthe

bansidthe

Jan 27, 1999
    he high carbon steel is indeed 1095. The Schrade + is 440 A steel. As expected the 1095 wil outperform the 440 A in edge holding. However it does rust.

4. Tim Faust

Tim Faust

Jul 3, 2000
    The carbon steel is 1095 high carbon. As posted earlier, Schrade+ stainless is a 400 series stainless, specially formulated to Schrade's specifications.

5. mactheknife350

mactheknife350

Nov 5, 2006
    The carbon steel is 1095C, heat-treated to around Rockwell 58C (57-59C).

Schrade stainless was originally 440C, until in the late 1970s they trademarked Schrade Plus for 440A which had a special heat-treat, enabling the steel to come out of the heat-treat with two points more carbon than it went in. (i.e., originally, about .6 carbon, after heat-treat, .8 and a fine grain structure.)

A few years before they went belly-up, Schrade changed Schrade Plus from 440A to 420 High Carbon, which they claimed gave as good or better results. In doing so, they were following the lead of Buck and Camillus, both of which had gone to 420HC because it was much cheaper than 440A (i.e., at one time, 72 cents a pound for 420HC, compared to about $2 a pound for 440A at the time. When you make hundreds of thousands of blade a year, these savings can add up.)

6. Sword and Shield

Sword and Shield

Apr 3, 2004
    6 years, three months and 25 days from the last post... how'd you drag up this antique? Hell, how'd you even find this one?

7. Amos Iron Wolf

Amos Iron Wolf

Mar 7, 2006
    LOL, that's pretty good archive diving. I'm glad he did though. A nice, quick, yet informative read.

Quite a feat though.

8. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Hey, mactheknife, did you work at Schrade? Your info sounds real specific, and nice to have. Are you a metallurgist??