1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Schrade USA - Parker Frost Preferred Series - 1978

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by thawk, Jul 18, 2012.

1. thawk

thawk Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Contracted by Schrade USA for Parker-Frost

[​IMG]
    Brown Bone Set, Muskrat, Trapper, Liner-Lock, Stockman

[​IMG]
    Johnny Muskrat

[​IMG]
    Mink

[​IMG]
    Little Bandit

[​IMG]
    Bison

Nice quality, carbon steel blades, also came in red and green bone. Some sets were serialized.

2. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    Nice. Quite an interesting story behind these knives too. But I'll let someone else tell it. ;)

3. Dave Thinkstoomuch

Dave Thinkstoomuch Banned BANNED

Jun 15, 2009
    Nice set!

I believe Codger is referring to the "1978-x Schrade" tang stamp on the reverse of these blades. They were a surprise that Jim Parker didn't want or order but got stuck with.

The whole story from Bruce Voyles:

4. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I would like to know whether the blades in the preferred series and in the original Eagle stockman series were stainless or not. I have the Eagle set with matching numbers, boxes, etc. but no ugly plaque. Anybody know?

5. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    Yes, that is the story from Bruce Voyles point of view, as a protoge of Jim Parker. There is, of course, another side of the story. Very few people took advantage of Albert Baer and got away with it scott-free. A further search of the BRL forum will reveal a part of this other story. Eventually, regardless of Parker's fame and fortunes, the Baers refused to have further business dealings with him. Remaining former principals of Imperial Schrade know the story from the Schrade side, but I doubt any of them would be willing to discuss it today.

6. thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    Cal, I see a little stain on these. I think they are carbon steel. I love that story too.

7. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    Beautiful scales on this set. Seem well fitted too. And every bit Schrades, regardless of who they were an SFO for.

8. thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    Thanks Michael. I've picked these four up over the course of several years. I was looking for one brown bone of each and no serial number on the bolster. Johnny Muskrat had evaded me for quite some time. I'm not positive, but it seems like it was mentioned once that Schrade obtained the bone for these from Boker. But maybe that was for the Tradesman series.

9. Dave Thinkstoomuch

Dave Thinkstoomuch Banned BANNED

Jun 15, 2009
    Hmmm, interesting... I found the quote in this forum but I will dig around in the BRL forum next. I'd like to hear the "other side". You are being pretty cryptic on this one Codger, but I like a mystery. Thanks for handing me a juicy one. :) Jim Parker seems to have been quite a "character" in the US knife saga.

Hal, Codger spoke to the Boker/Schrade connection here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/763753-Schrade-and-Boker-working-togeter?highlight=boker

"Also, at least as late as the Heritage Series of Schrade knives, Schrade did buy much of their processed (dyed and jigged) bone handle scales from Boker in Germany. Perhaps this continued to the end, but I have not come across communications, purchase orders and shipping receipts to prove that yet."

Thanks again Michael for being the great source that you are!

10. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    Dang. Codger killed the forum again! :p

11. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
  12. GASOUTHERNBOY

GASOUTHERNBOY

Jun 16, 2014
    Bring this one back alive. I just got this & was unclear if it was a Schrade model. Good read about the knives.
    Mustang before & after.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. FatCity67

FatCity67 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2013
  14. koldgold

koldgold Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 2, 2010
    This is my Eagle set, I believe they have stainless blades. I have not seen them in this case before. Ken.
    [​IMG]

15. thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    Bernard Levine on Jim Parker

"But he was charm personified, and very friendly in his last years. Any time I had a question about who made a fake, I'd ask him. If it was one of his, he'd tell me all about it. If not, he usually knew whose it was." :)

16. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    Nice to re-read this thread; thanx, Hal. I had forgotten the details.