Schrade-Walden 8OT with "Genuine bone stag" handles still avaiable in 1970.

Schrade's history was very poorly recorded. The first 8OT with bone handles, is a perfect example of this.
While looking for sound everdence, regarding the first Schrade-Walden 8OTs with bone handles, I found Belknap Hardware had 8OTs listed in their 1970 catalogue.
I have some Schrade-Walden 8OT Old Timers, stamped Primble 935. However, Belknap Hardware listed a bone handled "Schrade-Walden C3 8OT"
medium

My favorite quote from President Abraham Lincoln: "Don't believe everything you read on the internet. ;)

Look at the descriptions for the many of SW knives on those catalogs pages where they list bone and bone stag handles.

I just a lowly novice knife collector but I'm thinking there was some creative license being taken with the descriptions.

I went over to that site and read the catalog, and what Ken has said, is absolutely true. However, if they were still selling the bone knives in 1970 (and I think that they may have been long sold out) the actual knives were left over from 1959 to 1961 manufacture. They may have received a substantial order. By 1961 or VERY shortly thereafter there was NO bone left for Schrade manufacture in any patterns. They had no source for it from anywhere. The Delrin takeover was complete by 1962 or even before. Back in the day, before the digital revolution, it was expensive and time-consuming to properly update catalogs, and the updates were often just enough to get by with possible new additions and price changes. With the advent of the computer, the situation changed drastically. I can't prove any of this but this is my opinion on the matter and probably my final comments on it. By the way, if a rare shipping box or paperwork ever shows up regarding these knives, it could be useful to remember that zip codes began in 1967.

Hello Schrade forum. I have only recently acquired a few OT and other knives.

Out of interest for the topic and to understand what I have in catalogs;

They show "bone meerschaum" up until '65.
"Staglon" beginning in '65 with optional materials (old timer as well?)
Until '71 in the catalogs when it's all "Staglon" for the "Old Timer" line.

Hello Schrade forum. I have only recently acquired a few OT and other knives.

Out of interest for the topic and to understand what I have in catalogs;

They show "bone meerschaum" up until '65.
"Staglon" beginning in '65 with optional materials (old timer as well?)
Until '71 in the catalogs when it's all "Staglon" for the "Old Timer" line.

Meerschaum Bone is man-made. Maybe [my thinking] it could have been the Black Plastic Schrade used before Delrin.
Schrade knives used Delrin on their Old Timers and called the Look-a-like Dalrin "Staglon" on their Uncial Hennery knives.
DuPont Acetral Resin, is the plastic Schrade called Delrin and Staglon...Ken.

This is an early 8OT with Black Handle. Maybe ??? Meerschaum Bone.

medium

Schrade 1961 Saw-cut bone 8OT
medium

Please post photos, of your knives.

Last edited:
The only mention of a "genuine" bone 8OT in what I have downloaded is January 1961 Schrade Walden catalog. First mention of the Old Timers I saw at all???

Look at the descriptions for the many of SW knives on those catalogs pages where they list bone and bone stag handles.

I just a lowly novice knife collector but I'm thinking there was some creative license being taken with the descriptions.

Fat City, I think your on the money, with that creative license... Ken.

Last edited:
Didn't they do a Heritage 8Ot in brown and burgundy bone in I think the early '80's?
The 4" Heritage knife, was not stamped 8OT. The 1986 8OT in smooth red bone, was the only 8OT in the 1980's to use bone.
medium

Hi Winchester, This post is about the First Saw-cut bone 8OT Schrade sold, about 1961

Last edited:
Back