Schrade Walden J C Higgins H15 knife

Hi guys , whats the collectability of the H15, this knife has J C Higgins engraved on it , is this name relevant in the schrade world or has it just been done for somebody.

regards paul

G'day Paul, I bumped up the answer to your H-15 question......still got that 2OT Craftsman?...we were only just discussing those Sears 2 OT's......Hoo Roo

"John Higgins began working for Sears in 1898 as the manager of the headquarters' office bookkeepers and retired as company comptroller in 1930.
"John Higgins" the employee became "J.C. Higgins" the brand name during a discussion in 1908 among Sears' executives of possible names for a new line of sporting goods. At this point, the story gets a bit murky, but Higgins' name was suggested and John Higgins consented to Sears use his name. Since he did not have a middle initial, Sears added the "C."
In 1908, the Western Sporting Goods Company in Chicago began putting J.C. Higgins on baseballs and baseball gloves sold in Sears catalogs. By 1910, the J.C. Higgins trademark was extended to cover footballs and basketballs. Later, the popularity of the Higgins brand—combined with the wider participation of American youth in sports—led Sears to place tennis equipment, soccer balls, volleyballs, boxing equipment and baseball uniforms in the J.C. Higgins line.
By the 1940s, J.C. Higgins represented all Sears fishing, boating and camping equipment. After the Second World War, Sears consolidated all sporting goods under the J.C. Higgins brand name and added it to a line of luggage.
The J.C. Higgins brand disappeared shortly after Sears introduced the Ted Williams brand of sporting and recreation goods in 1961."

My father worked for Sears all through the 1950's. Suffice it to say many of my birthday and Christmas gifts came from there and specifically the J C H sporting equipment.. By far the items I loved the most was firstly a single shot 22. bolt action Rifle(my very first) chambered in .22 short/long/long rifle.. A very handsome jet black bicycle.. And an array of traditional knives. The J. C. Higgins line was top shelf.

Anthony

Schrade Walden 225 with J C Higgins etch.

Russell

dsc0963a.jpg

Nice one! I first see Sears using the J.C. Higgins mark on hunting knives in 1948, and not after c.1962. Many of those were Western States knives.

Folding knives seldom used the J.C. Higgins mark, the exceptions I have noted being briefly a few of these large folding hunters. In 1949-50, the pattern was a Craftsman #9543.

That knife is a #630 "Pocket Hunter".

2u88av5.jpg

As you can see, the Bowie Hunter is a #628.

Thanks Michael!! Nice piece of info on the cut sheet, the knife is much older than I had originally thought.

Russell

Thanks Michael!! Nice piece of info on the cut sheet, the knife is much older than I had originally thought.

Russell

1959-61 is an estimate... I'll look back at the production records to see for sure. The Sears J.C. Higgins brochure (As Aussie Larry will attest) dates to that time period.

End of year production reports show the Sears #630 shipped in 1960, 1961 and in 1962 with a followup shipment in 1964. Each year approximately 2,000 pieces (+/-) were ordered and shipped.

Note that since the only change on these knives from regular SW 225 production was the blade etch "J.C.Higgins", and since this is not noted in the production reports, the etch may have changed to "Ted Williams" in 1961 or 1962 without changing the Sears catalog number.

Back