schrade walden ny usa 80t

Is anyone familiar with this knife? I would appreciate any information as I am not familiar with it. It is a schrade old timer with the tang on the clip point stamped schrade, walden, ny usa on one side and 80t on the other side. The clip point blade nail nick has a match striker. Here are some pictures I took.
I'm not sure how to post these pictures so hopefully they go through. here is another attempt to show the pictures of this knife. schrade 1 schrade 2 schrade 3 schrade 4 If none of these pictures go through I hope the description of the knife is enough to date it. Thanks to anyone that can help me with this. Jeff

I can't see your pictures, but I am assuming it's a delrin (plastic) handled knife. Bone 8OT's are scarce. A walden era 8ot would be made from the early 1960's to around 1973 when the walden name was dropped.

When Taylor first began importing Chinese copies of Schrades, I bought one by mistake. They also copied the Schrade packaging right down to the American flag. The knife was stamped differently than the real ones. But they did add an etch on the pile side.
TBLLC-051570495614.jpg

TBLLC-05-etch1570495299.jpg

The first 8OTs with the Dalrin handles came out around 1962. The match-strike pull went to about half-way into 1972.
The 1973 8OT didnot have the match-strike, and stamped U.S.A. N.Y.
Some of the Taylar Brand were stamped "SCHRADE" some "SCHRADE 8OT" - never U.S.A.
Hope that helps. Those early 8OTs came in a number of diferant boxes... Ken

The match-strike pull went to about half-way into 1972.
The 1973 8OT didnot have the match-strike, and stamped U.S.A. N.Y.

The match striker lasted a little longer than the Walden stamp. I've tried to figure out when they went away but there's really no way to know for sure. In the pic below are three USA 8OTs with match strikers. The one in the center is the oldest. You can see it's got the USA but no pattern number - it's still on the back. Those are pretty rare and I don't know how long they were made. I have heard people theorize anywhere from 6-18 months after the changeover to USA. At the very least those ran into 1974 and maybe even into 1975, or beyond - who knows? Based on how few of them I have seen I'm guessing the run didn't last very long. The knife on the right is the complete last tang stamp with 8OT on the third line and the top grind completely gone but still has the match striker. That's a rare one. I don't know how long they made those. My guess is not very long at all. I haven't come across another one.
Py54WTQ.jpg

EDIT: Right after posting this I opened up ebay and the first thing I saw was one of the USA knives with the 8OT on the reverse. Here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-TIMER-...475182?hash=item3d9574f52e:g:IroAAOSwXF5c-X~d

Last edited:
Hi Tony,
I have every 8OT knife Schrade made from 1961 to the non-production knives made in 2004.
Any 4" made or sold by Schrade, is in my Collection.
From about 1962-73, I have never been able to date the Walden knives - they did come in different boxes. The match-strike knives with the NY stamp ran out in about 1973-74
My "Primble 935 Old Timers" were still selling in January 1971, [same as match-strike 8OTs]
I have six of them NIB, one has the sales docket. Dated 12 Jan 1971 cost US$4:57 with tax.
Camillus also made some of the 8OT blades, about 1973-75.

Last edited:
Thanks for the in depth and Expert post!!

Hi Tony,
I have every 8OT knife Schrade made from 1961 to the non-production knives made in 2004.
Any 4" made or sold by Schrade, is in my Collection.
From about 1962-63, I have never been able to date the Walden knives - they did come in different boxes. The match-strike knives with the NY stamp ran out in about 1973.
My "Primble 935 Old Timers" were still selling in January 1971, [same as match-strike 8OTs]
I have six of them NIB, one has the sales docket. Dated 12 Jan 1971 cost US$4:57 with tax.
Camillus made some of the 8OT blades, about 1973-75.

Back