Schrade Walden

I bought a Schrade Walden trapper....the front of the Tang has Schrade
Walden
NY USA

Which should be a 73 or earlier but the back side has 1194 on it and the blade is not etched with Ever Sharp on it which by that it is a later date maybe 2004. Any information would be appreciated as I am very confused....Michael

If you get no joy here, there's a Schrade collectors' sub forum which I've found very helpful.

I bought a Schrade Walden trapper....the front of the Tang has Schrade
Walden
NY USA

Which should be a 73 or earlier but the back side has 1194 on it and the blade is not etched with Ever Sharp on it which by that it is a later date maybe 2004. Any information would be appreciated as I am very confused....Michael

Some pictures of the knife would help, but if it's stamped 1194 then it sounds to me like it's one of the post 2004 knives made by utica. Does it have bone handles?

The everlastingly sharp etch was rarely used on schrades, the only ones I can recall are the 1980's heritage series and some bone 804 whittlers. The "schrade walden" trappers and such that you will find with that etch are not actual schrades, being made by a different manufacturer after schrade went bankrupt.

Also, an etch can be worn off with enough use (or removing a patina, if applicable.)

If the handles are bone, it was made by Utica. If they are Delrin it was made by Camillus. I believe that Camillus got the tooling from Schrade at the Schrade bankruptcy, if not before, and Utica got the tooling from Camillus at THEIR bankruptcy. Maybe.

Back