Scissor-spring channel in Vics.

The newer Vics (I don't know how new, VT can help us here?) Have channels for the scissor spring to ride in, and the old (20 year +) explorer I recently restored did not (My year old CYB41 has the channel). Maybe a _new_ explorer would not have the spring-slipping problem that Needle mentioned. It seems to work very well, since the spring never kicks off to the side on mine.

Also, on that old explorer, I replaced the spring and the new one (which is straighter and stronger) seemed to help even that one.

Needle:
Check out your old explorer for a channel on the back of the scissors where the end of the scissor spring rides. If it doesn't have the channel, go to a B&M store and examine a new one - might be just what you're after?

Hey Klattman,

The Explorer my grandfather gave me is pretty new, just beat up/neglected as he is not a knife person. It has the ubiquitous hook and everything! It does have the scissor channel, and after I reformed the spring it works great. The Victorinox Climber I have is the one that is just awful in terms of the arm bypassing the spring, and it too has the channel.

Too bad, I thought we had it nailed. If the climber scissors is in good condition (not bent), a new spring may work better. Other than that, I'm out of ideas...wait, is the scissors nice and sharp?

NR, maybe your spring just needs bent back into line? Or maybe a new spring.

Paul

The scissors are nice and sharp :) It might have to do with the screw tension as a loose screw would allow the army to have more side wobble. But I bought new springs so we'll see :)

You can always send it back to Victorinox for repair. Fron what I hear, their customer service is outstanding.

Paul

Make sure you have the right spring for the right scissors.I have an old craftsman and a new ranger in front of me now. The spring for the old scissors is flat on the end, the spring for the new ones with the groove has a small hump that rides in the channel.I dont think these scissors have ever bypassed for me.

Good job catching that one! I didn't notice if the old springs (i tossed them) had the bump or not, but all of mine do, including the new replacement ones and on all the vics I have.

Back