Recommendation? Scissors made from extremely Corrosion resistant material.

Hello I have been asked to quote a pair of custom machined heavy duty scissors.

They need to be as corrosion resistant as 316 Stainless Steel, but preferably as corrosion resistant as C-276 Hastelloy. While also being made from a material that retains an edge for a long time.

I'm basically looking for a pair like these https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/prototype-utility-shears.1528629/
Except from corrosion resistant material.

If there are any makers that can do this, or want to quote me a pair I would appreciate it. If not I can make them, but wanted to save the customer money if something exists. If I do make them I am thinking solid titanium, or something exotic like M390 microclean.

Last edited:
Maybe have a look at the Swiss made Wenger Swissors, these are made from very rust-resistant stainless steel, and use interchangeable blades with titanium nitride coated edges, which is both hard-wearing & very slick.
I would recommend the version with the micro-serrated cutting edges, both for cutting difficult materials (Kevlar, Dyneema, glass- and carbonfiber mats, etc) and a much longer lifespan.
Tip: while not recommended by the manufacturer (duh) you can also resharpen those interchangeable blades a few times.

In addition to Josh's suggestions, you might look at Vanax SuperClean. It is extremely stain resistant. It is also tough (resistant to chips and breaks) and fine grained, so it takes and holds a good edge. I love this steel.

From Alpha:
vanax-stainless-steel

There have been three Vanax steels: Vanax 35, Vanax 75 and Vanax. Uddeholm discontinued Vanax 35 & 75 and released the new Vanax.

The new Vanax has better edge holding and is tougher than the previous versions. In the data sheet, the newest Vanax is described as being tougher than Elmax which is the toughest PM cutlery grade stainless steel.

Vanax is the most high tech steel available for knives. It is a third generation powder metallurgy nitrogen stainless steel. The steel has very little carbon. Nitrogen is used in place of the carbon to make the steel hard. The result is a steel with extreme corrosion resistance, excellent edge holding and is easily resharpened.

I would second new vanax. Pete from Cedric and ADA has some basic corrosion testing on Vanax, LC200n, M390 etc.

Is there anywhere that carries Vanax, Z-finit in thickness's of .375" or thicker? .264" is pretty thin for a pair of scissors if I want to machine in any depth.

Can't believe no one has suggested Titanium yet. It's way up the scale in corrosion resistance.

Titanium is way down the hardness scale though, so it would offer no benefit over cheaper 316SS in this case. The scissors will only be used to open plastic bags, so 316 may suffice.
It is looking like I will have to make these myself, machining them should be straightforward. I just need to get the tension bolt design down so they stay tight.

I'd also recommend ZFINIT/LC200N
Or Vanax. As a heads up Vanax is very expensive.

If you want to go the titanium route. I would suggest contacting Mecha Mecha for finding a hard wearing titanium grade. I'm sure the grade 38 armor plate or one of the russian alloys would give you better edge life.

Hello I have been asked to quote a pair of custom machined heavy duty scissors, the catch is they are going to be used in a chemical glove box for pharmaceutical use.

They need to be as corrosion resistant as 316 Stainless Steel, but preferably as corrosion resistant as C-276 Hastelloy. While also being made from a material that retains an edge for a long time.

One thing worth considering, given your description: rust resistant isn't necessarily the same thing as chemical resistant. The materials mentioned here, like LC200N, Vanax, or titanium, will do fine in salty environments, but may not fare as well when exposed to certain acids, etc.

Edit: also, what materials will the scissors be used on? Vanax is good stuff, but if the scissors are just being used on paper or plastic baggies, it's probably way overkill, given the price and difficulty of working with (compared to titanium, for example).

Last edited:
If they’re only going to be used to open plastic bags,would ceramic work? Carbidized titanium maybe?

Titanium is way down the hardness scale though, so it would offer no benefit over cheaper 316SS in this case. The scissors will only be used to open plastic bags, so 316 may suffice.
It is looking like I will have to make these myself, machining them should be straightforward. I just need to get the tension bolt design down so they stay tight.

Titanium can handle plastic bags (lol), especially since it comes as alloys that are hardenable or carbidable.

Titanium can handle plastic bags (lol), especially since it comes as alloys that are hardenable or carbidable.

Well, if the chrome plating wearing off is seen as a problem, then ostensibly so is the hardness of titanium. I hope the OP is not just assuming it will only be used to open plastic bags.

Besides, not all plastic packaging is created equal. Some packaging can be quite hard and put a knife (shears) through their paces. Like some blister packs and such. I personally wouldn't recommend going the titanium route, but I'm not a maker.

Maybe 440c? I've never had a problem with corrosion and it, the chromium content is right in there with the 300 series stainless, it's reasonably cheap, and if you need mass production, lot of firms are comfortable working it.

If I do make them this is a good material suggestion.

https://www.whiteley.co.uk/store/craft/exo-gold/
This pair are the closest I have been able to find. "Tin" coatings are not all created equal though.
That Ceramic coating sounds better that metal plating ..
Is there anywhere that carries Vanax, Z-finit in thickness's of .375" or thicker? .264" is pretty thin for a pair of scissors if I want to machine in any depth.
I’m just a knife maker Sharpener and have sharpen a lot of Scissors for Medical & industrial use. From sizing handles for my customers I think you would want to start with 1/2” thick material to be able to round and fit the Bows for comfortable use in a glove box if I read your description properly. Those Whiteley Scissors look well formed in the bows for comfortable long term use!

I’m guessing there’s something caustic in the plastic bag which is causing the problem?

H1 maybe? Seems like it could fit your needs. Edge holding is kind of mediocre on H1 though. I also agree with the many others that LC200N would work really well, better edge holding then H1.

Back