Scout Sights on a Shotgun?

I was looking around the internet for information about scout style rifles and the pros and cons of having a sight mounted that far forward ( no squinting, faster target acquisition, better for snap shooting) and was wondering has anyone mounted a red dot sight on a shotgun in this manner? I read that Jeff Cooper designed the concept around a rifle but it seems to me that it would be better suited for a shotgun. . .

People in shotgun-only states were doing that on their deer guns long before Cooper came up with the Scout concept....

People in shotgun-only states were doing that on their deer guns long before Cooper came up with the Scout concept....

I don't think so. Cooper went "public" with the concept in early 1980.

No one was making a shotgun mount that was suitable for a forward mounted scope until the mid to late 90's.

As far as the "scout concept" adapted to a shotgun, there are some advantages, but not as many as when applied to a suitable rifle.

Well, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall people putting low-power scopes on shotguns in the early 1970s. :confused:

Doesn't matter; I don't want to hijack the thread with an argument about history....

David E.
Could you explain a little more please ? The way it sounds to me a forward mounted scope would work better at closer ranges. Since it seems like we are at closer ranges ( under 100 yds) why would a rifle be better than a shotgun?

I said: "As far as the "scout concept" adapted to a shotgun, there are some advantages, but not as many as when applied to a suitable rifle."

Some of these are inherent in the design of the gun. For example, unlike the standard scope location, the forward mounted scope allows full access to the chamber and magazine. This can be important to clear a jam, to chamber a specific round, clean the chamber, or to add rounds via a stripper clip. A typical shotgun's design doesn't allow for any of that, so no advantage is gained with a forward mounted scope.

Some of the "pros" remain, as you listed several in your OP.

David E.
Thanks for clearing that up. What would be the possible cons to this setup? I think maybe damage to the sight/scope from being more exposed.

Cons would be more weight, more bulk, might get knocked off zero. If a red dot, it becomes battery dependent (altho they've improved that technology a LOT)

The top competitive shooters don't mount it too far forward and they use a red dot, not a scope. The overwhelming advantage is rapidity on multiple targets.

Another advantage to a red dot mounted on a rifle or handgun is, it's easier to teach someone to shoot reasonably well in a short amount of time.

Here is what Jeff had to say on the subject...

For those who have not tried it, an explanation of the advantages of the forward telescope is in order. First, and most important, the forward glass does not obscure the landscape. With both eyes open the shooter sees the entire countryside as well as the crosswire printed on his target. For this reason it is important that the magnification of the telescope be no greater than 3X (some hold that 2X is maximum) in order to avoid excessive disparity between the vision of the two eyes. This forward mount, properly used and understood, is the fastest sighting arrangement available to the rifleman...There are those who think that a glass of low power is necessarily less precise for long-range precision work, but we have not found this to be the case in any sort of realistic test.

There are many additional advantages to the forward telescope mount. It is out of the way when the rifle is carried at the balance. It may be mounted as low over the bore as the diameter of the bell permits. It avoids pinching between thumb and bolt handle when the bolt is operated. It permits stripper loading if desired. It greatly facilitates single-loading with eyes on target. It completely eliminates "telescope eye." Without exception, those who have tried the forward mounted glass in a full course of rifle training are unanimous in their conviction of its superiority...

On a shotgun the advantages would include the prevention of "scope eye" and the ability to keep both eyes open and not obscure your view of the area. Of course this is more important when a scope is used rather than a red dot but it applies somewhat to both. The ability to carry comfortably at the balance point also would apply to a shotgun.

Forward mounting a scope on a shotgun with rib requires a rib that is brazed on , not soldered ! For iron sights the best for a shotgun is a ghost ring which is mounted close to the eye.

Back