Scout Style vs. Traditional

I was just wondering what you guys would prefer, a scout style knife (like an sak) or a traditional (stockman)?

I currently just have sak's, but am getting a stockman, I persoanlly can't wait for the stockman!

I enjoy both, in traditionals I prefer Trappers but I have some Stockman patterns also.

Or you can have the best of both.

An SAk with Elk handles for the classic look!

SAK-ELK4.jpg

I like them both . A sak has more utility purpose I suppose but I love the look and feel of a good pocket knife .

Traditional all the way, for me.
I think they feel more solid in my hand, and I like the looks & styles better.

peace.

Good question. For in the pocket carry I prefer the smallest blade possible, like the mini-trapper or Buck Lancer.

I have a SAK Farmer, but have been thinking about this one from AG Russel

phpkfVExp.jpg

I prefer traditional slipjoint knives. In the factory lineup I like vintage small stockmans (3 blades). In a custom slipjoint I like a fairly small single blade knife.

Scout knives ARE traditional. Granted, most modern SAKs don't use what is commonly thought of as 'traditional' handel material, but then a lot of other slipjoints don't either. Scout type knives (multiblades) have been around for a very long time in various configurations. Victorinox and the Swiss army didn't invent them.

As to a preference between a scout style knife and a stockman, I'd go with a scout with an awl.

Leo

Leo the Lion (and everyone else),

I think the question could perhaps have been phrased in a more specific manner... something like "SAK-type knives vs. traditional American-style slipjoints." The question, I believe, does not refer to the "scout" pattern, but the style and feel of SAK-style knives, compared with those that have bolsters, natural handle materials, etc.

Even this revised question could be mislieading, for some 'traditional' slips are manufactured in Germany or England, (Boker and Eye Brand, for example), but they still fall along the lines of the knives we think of as traditionally American.
(For clarification, ask yourself what type of slipjoint John Wayne would carry... ;))

Peace.

I prefer the "scout style" over any other traditional pattern.

It's just more useful IMO.
Often I need a screwdriver or a reamer but very seldom do I need three cutting blades.

Happy hunting,
Allen.

Tough choice.

If I am carrying it for utility/emergency use, then an SAK/scout style knife obviously has an advantage. If I know I'm going to actually be cutting stuff, you can't beat a good stockman with high carbon steel blades.

I've been tempted many times by the AG Russell premium scout. Its a beauty! I think a scout is tough to beat for general EDC.

My EDC is generally one of several SAK's and I think a Scout is a little more attractive, although my Alox Bantam is nice too.

allenC said:
I prefer the "scout style" over any other traditional pattern.

It's just more useful IMO.
Often I need a screwdriver or a reamer but very seldom do I need three cutting blades.

Exactly... which is why the Vic Soldier is nearly perfect. And you can even open your beer with it!

That said, you can't go wrong with a nice stockman for everyday light carry or for whittling away boredom.

Back