1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Scratchy/Gritty detent

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Fubijar03, May 15, 2016.

1. Fubijar03

Fubijar03

Sep 17, 2014
    Hello everyone. I did a couple searches and couldn't find anything, so I hope that this hasn't been discussed to death.

I have a Mcnees Baby Bolt that I love, but recently a buddy of mine flubbed the flip a couple times and when he handed it back to me there was some grit. I thought that it was strange so I ran a paper towel across the detent track and it smoothed back up... For like 5 flips. Now every few flips it grits up and I have to clean the detent path.

Ideas on how to fix this? It's driving me insane.

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    flick it no stop for 30 minutes.

3. Joshua J.

Joshua J.

Feb 27, 2005
    I've had detents go "gritty" completely at random on five or six knives before. I think backlocks go through the same phaze sometimes too. Sometimes it's bad enough that I give up and shelve the knife for a few months, sometimes it's better when I come back, sometimes not. I've tried polishing the detent, no dice. Tuff Glide only seems to help momentarily. It always seems to go away eventually though, I've never read an explanation for why it happens.

4. Ruggdogg87

Ruggdogg87

Dec 21, 2015
    Is it a relatively newer knife?

5. Fubijar03

Fubijar03

Sep 17, 2014
    It is like a year old. It's been carried quite a bit and has been as smooth as glass since I got it. The ball looks fine (as far as I can tell) and the track doesn't look noticeably different than any other.

Joshua J, I was considering polishing so it's good to know that I'm probably better off leaving it be.

I tried a drop of lube and it worked for a minute and then roughed back up. Scratching my head on this one and getting pretty irritated, ha.

Thanks for the replies fellas.
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Just needs cleaned (flushed out) in all likelihood.

7. Ruggdogg87

Ruggdogg87

Dec 21, 2015
    I would agree. Pocket lint and lube/oil can build up and it probably just needs a good thorough cleaning

8. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Toothbrush! Just use it to brush out the pivot area, detent track, and I make sure to brush the actual detent ball too (on liner and frame locks).

I will spray the bristles with CLP every now and then to keep them a little oily. Not dripping with oil but a very thin coating. Seems to help clean the detent track better and "refreshes" the lube on it.