Benchmade Screw Extractors

• I stripped a t6 frame screw on a Benchmade mini Grip and can’t get it out. I’ve tried numerous ways to get it out but none work. Damn loctite! Anyone try a micro screw extractor? Any suggestions on a good brand? Thanks.

Extractors are usually pretty big. I would look for a reverse drill bit and a drill press to run it in.

I've had good luck with the "Grab-it" brand extractors, they combine a left hand drill bit and an extractor. Sometimes just the left hand drill end in a handle works on the small stuff.

I've had good luck with the "Grab-it" brand extractors, they combine a left hand drill bit and an extractor. Sometimes just the left hand drill end in a handle works on the small stuff.

Do you know if Grab It extractors can pull out a screw as small as a T6 torx? I don’t.

You might want to send the knife to one of the Pros here and have them precisely center punch / center drill and drill out the screw in a drill press. It might require tapping the hole to the next thread size up.

It's extremely challenging for the home crafts person to do this.
My fave screw extractors are square by the way; they have four straight knives on ever so slightly tapered extractors. I find these work better than the reverse spiral jobs.
I've never run across one even remotely small enough to take that screw out though.

You might want to send the knife to one of the Pros here and have them precisely center punch / center drill and drill out the screw in a drill press. It might require tapping the hole to the next thread size up.

My fave screw extractors are square by the way; they have four straight knives on ever so slightly tapered extractors. I find these work better than the reverse spiral jobs.
I've never run across one even remotely small enough to take that screw out though.

Thanks. I bought a $75 set of beautiful AWT scales and was in the process of trying to remove the original mini-Grip plastic factory scales when the t6 stripped. Ive tried everything I can think of to get that last remaing screw out. All the rest were no problem.

Thanks. I bought a $75 set of beautiful AWT scales and was in the process of trying to remove the original mini-Grip plastic factory scales when the t6 stripped. Ive tried everything I can think of to get that last remaing screw out. All the rest were no problem.

Well it is limited value but since you might not care if you damage the old scale you could cut a lot in the screw head all the way across and stick a high quality (Weha) screw driver in it and perhaps unscrew it that way.

How to cut the slot ? Dremel abrasive disk might even thin it a bit on a carborundum dressing stone first. Tricky though.

Any Pros willing to chime in ? Would it be best to just leave it alone and send it to you ?
Probably easier to hit the center of the screw before it has a slot cut in it; more than likely cut off center . . .

PS : You could get one of the Precise Fit Weha torx (they do fit better) . . .
touch the end of the torx bit to a grinder, which sharpens up the teeth right down in the bottom of the screw where there may still be some good Torx shape left . . .
Put the Torx bit in a good driver that you can get your weight on (I would put the bit only between one vise jaw and the knife on the other vise jaw) then turn the bit with a 1/4 inch box end wrench. I have a Gear Wrench brand ratchet end wrench that I use exclusively to do this sort of maneuver all the time on other non knife related work.

PS : Here is the set up
IMG_6005.JPG
IMG_6004.JPG

The wrench looks like this.
I was going to say get this set of Weha bits but the smallest is T7
I bought these for work for other projects and had them sitting near by.
Anyway . . . get the precise fit T6
IMG_6003.jpg

PPPS: be sure to unscrew the vise jaw a bit once the screw loosens otherwise bad things can happen.

i would be happy to send it to a pro and pay him/her for her time. Its beyond my talent and capabilities. If any pro is willing to help, let me know.

View attachment 1218799
View attachment 1218800

View attachment 1218798

I don’t have a T6
View attachment 1218799
View attachment 1218800

View attachment 1218798[/QUOTE)

I’ve got a Wiha T6 bit and a Channelock T6 screwdriver. Wonder if either are quality steel?

You can send it my way if you want, happy to get it out will probably take 5 min ;)

You can send it my way if you want, happy to get it out will probably take 5 min ;)

Got a couple more products coming to try. If that doesnt work, how do I contact you sir. As you can see, I am a tenderfoot newbie to this forum as well as removing stuck screws. But . . . I sure do like those new AWT scales!

Back