How To scribe centerlines and bevel widths

Is there a cheap/fast place to get some carbide rod? Amazon is one place, but it takes a while. Im only used to seeing it as drill bits ... but surely there is something that can be picked up at home depot, HF or similar?
What size do you want? You can get lots of carbide scribes on Amazon next day, some with replacement tips included. That way, you have a scribe for general purpose use and a tip for you center line jig.

If you need to sharpen the tip, you can get diamond Dremel discs from Harbor Freight for cheap, I think about five bucks for a pack of four. Chuck the carbide in the drill press to spin it and use the diamond disc to sharpen.

What size do you want? You can get lots of carbide scribes on Amazon next day, some with replacement tips included. That way, you have a scribe for general purpose use and a tip for you center line jig.

If you need to sharpen the tip, you can get diamond Dremel discs from Harbor Freight for cheap, I think about five bucks for a pack of four. Chuck the carbide in the drill press to spin it and use the diamond disc to sharpen.
I guess i could go that route. I have one of those scribes... but for some reason i was thinking of a carbide rod sharpened to a chisel end. Though.... solid rod may well be too brittle for this application now that i think of it...

I guess i could go that route. I have one of those scribes... but for some reason i was thinking of a carbide rod sharpened to a chisel end. Though.... solid rod may well be too brittle for this application now that i think of it...
I don't think it will be too brittle, I use a solid piece of carbide for the tip in my straightening hammer... McMaster has solid, precision ground carbide rods from 1/16" diameter on up.

One other thing that could work well is a tooth from an old carbide tipped (miter, table, circular or similar) saw blade. You could dress it on a diamond sharpening stone if you have one.

I don't think it will be too brittle, I use a solid piece of carbide for the tip in my straightening hammer... McMaster has solid, precision ground carbide rods from 1/16" diameter on up.

One other thing that could work well is a tooth from an old carbide tipped (miter, table, circular or similar) saw blade. You could dress it on a diamond sharpening stone if you have one.
Unfortunately i dont have one...

tungsten electrodes for tig welding are cheap and easy to find
kSDbkAn.jpg

Back