Scrimshaw sets...worth anything?

Arm

Picked up this set for under a bill, figure to sit on it awhile. Good buy or
bad?
SchradeWeb.jpg

I'm not an expert here, but if you even add up the retail value of the individual knives, it is worth more than that. Then the case, and a full set? 1996? I think you got a good deal!

Codger

Welcome to our forum! Good deal on a nice set of knives...

I saw another post elsewhere, you seem to be seeking a good book or two concerning knife collecting. I'd try and find a forth edition of Levine's Guide To Pocket Knives and their Values by Bernard Levine. The fifth edition you'd find new in a bookstore is junk. Two others on my book shelve that get a lot of use is: Official Price Guide to Collector Knives By S. Houston Price (just saw a new edition yesterday at Borders bookstore) and The Standard Knife Collectors Guide By Roy Ritchie and Ron Stewart, of which there is also a brand new edtion out this year.

As you have an interest in Case knives, may I further recommend the old standby, Romance of Collecting Case Knives by Dewey Ferguson, later editions by his wife.

Visit us again,

Phil

You definitely got a good deal on this one. Although I don't keep up with the collector's values, the suggested retail for this set in 1996, when it was made, was right around $300.00. A complete set, along with the display case is definitely a steal for less than a bill. Debbie

Back