Script "BUCK" lettering?

I see in some of the ebay auction discriptions for buck knives "Script BUCK lettering".

Is the knife from the custom shop if Buck is in script lettering or is it just harder to find some models with Buck in script lettering?

Thanks,

pahl,

better for one of the pro´s to chim in - but as long as these guys are busy elsewhere I can give you what I know - I have had three knives where the blades had been exchanged to BG42 ones in the custom shop and all of them had the scripted Buck lettering - all of my other standard Bucks had the straight characters for the BUCK lettering.

So I would **guestimate** that those parts on ebay being advertised with the scripted lettering are something special and are not the typical standard knives.

Just my 2 €cents

Klaus

I know Buck has changed their tang stamps several times over the years until became what it is today. Buck has used the SCRIPT stamp for special/custom projects but I can also find photographs in some of the older catalogs (I am lookin at the 1989 catalog as I write this) that shows a SCRIPTED stamp on the EXECUTIVE SERIES (Models 526,507.525) and the 500 SLIMLINE SERIES (Models 505,500,501,503). In the 1988 catalog I can see the SCRIPT on the tang of the CLASSIC SERIES ((Models 510,513, 515) so I don't believe it was "exclusive" to the customs although it certainly was used there.
(Please keep in mind that I use catalog photo's only as a "guide" not as "gospel" due to the fact that Buck would use the same picture several years in a row even though the actual knives had undergone some changes)

I seem to recall someone mentioning that Larry Oden is writing, or has written an article for an upcoming BCCI Newsletter article about Buck Pocketknives. Perhaps he discusses the different tang stamps in his article... Just another reason to join the BCCI! The newsletters are full of usefull, historical, interesting information readily supplied by the people who have studied BUCK far longer than I.

Gypsy has it pretty much right, especially about the photos. In the late 1970's the 500 and 700 series bore the script BUCK. Example: all of the so called "800" series, the 701, 703, 709 and 705 etched with the horse scenes, had the script type stamp. It was used for a longer period on the Empress Trio so you will find some 107's with this tang stamp. All of the Bicentennial knives had script. I have not researched this but I cannot recall any others except for some oddities.

Keep up the prayer for me guys, 7 days until the big surgery.

thanks Dan and Vern for the info. I am afraid to comment on these posts sometimes cause it is too easy to be wrong and I just don't remember all the time. I appreciate all the "editors-at-large" in this forum

I have a Buck 503 with the old english script. I gave this knife to my dad and it was returned to me when he passed in 2006. I could not remember when I gave it to him, and from the Buck website I always thought there was a "C" on it indicating a 1995 manufacture date which seemed plausible. However, the more I look at it it seems to be a serif on the letter B in Buck rather than a date mark. If this is correct then it is a pre-1986 and could have been New Old Stock when I bought it. It is a cool knife and this thread seems to verify the pre-1986 theory.
6vQwysW.jpg
rIRqKjC.jpg

Back