Sea Change.

I went to a knife show yesterday.:)

It's been a long while since I did go to any knife or gun show, as I'm quite content with where I am and what I am doing, and what I do it with. For the last several months, my edc pocket knife has been the damascus peanut. It's been very good at cutting what I needed cut.

But sometimes it was not enough, and I needed a little something that was heavier duty or a little longer. Or maybe something I could lean on a little bit more. I thought of my dad and his fellows of that generation, and they all had the same little two blade jacks in the 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 range. If they needed something else, they had a small sheath knife around. Sometimes stashed in a car glove box, sometimes in a truck emergency kit. Usually a little finn pattern in the 1950's. Not much bigger than a pocket knife, but you could subject it to heavier use than a pocket knife with a hinge in the middle. And if it got grungy with blood and guts, it was easy to rinse off in a creek.

A few years back, when my hand was being operated on, I did the pocket fixed blade trip and liked it. It was handy to just pull a knife out, cut, and put it back. I guess a lot can be said for the Scandinavian outlook of just carrying a puuko. If your in the city, carry a smaller puuko. Certainly easier to keep clean, safer with nothing to fold, and for old farts with arthritis, no problems pulling a blade out against a spring.

So, for the past few years, I've been increasingly attracted to the idea of the pocket fixed blade. Roaming around the knife show yesterday, I noticed that many more knife makers are offering very small little sheath knives with kydex sheaths, for the neck knife/pocket fixbladed role. Unfortunately, most of them seemed to be the tactical stuff, with bead blasted micarta handles and stainless steel blades, looking like a hide out weapon from a sci-fi movie. But I found a few that had real wood or stag handles. If I'm going to carry a knife, I want a nice looking knife. Life is too short for black plastic or bead blasted micarta. I want it feel hand friendly.

So I ended up picking up a Norse puuko with a nice rosewood handle, blade about a peanut size but thicker, very sharp scandi grind, and some silver pins set in the handle in a nice pattern. It disappears in a shirt pocket of my flannel shirt, with a lanyard from the sheath to the button hole. I've still got the Mike Miller pocket fixed blade, with the giraffe bone handles with mosaic pin work.

I'll still be carrying my peanut, I'm too much a fanatic to stop. It's my public use knife, and to be frank, male pocket jewelery. I've never had another knife get noticed by the manager of a Tiffany's, or called exquisite by a lady librarian. But I have a feeling that from now on, my peanut is going to be backed up by a pretty little pocket fixed blade in case a little heavier cutting is needed.

Or I get too damm old to pull open a slip joint anymore. :grumpy:

Carl.

Last edited:
Carl, if you were not so good at illustrating with words I would really get on you about Pics :D

Congrats :)

Good for you Carl!
You'll know when "you're too damn old" when someone spots you on a park bench trying to fold up your puukko:D

Carl, you'll have to bring that along to our get together. That small Hackman is probably about as small as I can go with my monster paws, but I liked the one you showed me. Did you get the puukko from the guy next to Bob Dozier and Dan Crotts? I saw a couple small ones on his table.

So I ended up picking up a Norse puuko with a nice rosewood handle, blade about a peanut size but thicker, very sharp scandi grind, and some silver pins set in the handle in a nice pattern. It disappears in a shirt pocket of my flannel shirt, with a lanyard from the sheath to the button hole. I've still got the Mike Miller pocket fixed blade, with the giraffe bone handles with mosaic pin work.

Carl.

just out of curiosity, whats the overall length of the puuko? You said the blade is roughly peanut size (2 1/2") just curious how long the handle is
and of course, any chance for a pic or two??

Carl, you'll have to bring that along to our get together. That small Hackman is probably about as small as I can go with my monster paws, but I liked the one you showed me. Did you get the puukko from the guy next to Bob Dozier and Dan Crotts? I saw a couple small ones on his table.

Yes, it was on the table next to Dozier. It's about the same size as the pocket fixed blade I showed you, that was the Mike Miller pocket fixed blade. This one is about the same size as the Miller knife but looks a little bit trimmer with a very nice sculpted rosewood handle and puuko shaped blade.

just out of curiosity, whats the overall length of the puuko? You said the blade is roughly peanut size (2 1/2") just curious how long the handle is
and of course, any chance for a pic or two??

Side by side, the tiny puuko and peanut are almost exactly the same overall lenght. Of course the mini puuko is wider, and heftier. It's actually easy to hold, and it cuts very well. I just used it to slice up some chicken for the stir fry I'm making for dinner, and it went through the raw meat like it was warm butter. I guess those Norse folks know how to make a good knife! This would be a great fish and small game knife. The handle is subtly shaped for a solid three finger grip with the thumb locking it in. There's a slight swell in the end of the handle that butts into the palm of the hand very nice.

If all goes well, I'm going to learn how to post pics this winter. We're getting a new computer, and instead of knowing just enough to get online, I'm going to take a course of Computers for dummies at the local community college. If I'm going to live longer in this 21st century, I have to go and learn how to use the technology that's here. No matter how much I wish I was living back in the 1800's or 1930's. Npw, if I was Sam Spade, I'd probably have a busty blond secretary that I could just tell her " Hey Precious, look this up for me and post these pics on the computer." Instead, Karen tells me I have to learn how to do it, so I can show her!

Carl.

Last edited:
thanks Carl,

wow thats a tiny lil fixed blade isnt it? But as long as it does the job for you, more power to ya ;)
and i suppose congrats on a new knife is in order :D

Carl,
thanks for sharing your sea change with us :)
The only thing is, I suspect that Tiffany won't be interested in producing a limited series of a Tiffany Puukko... :D

Fausto
:cool:

I made the transition in the opposite direction, going from years of pocket carrying fixed blades to slip joints (won't lie, occasionally there is a folder and a fixed blade).

Congrats Carl. I went to the show too. There sure were a lot of nice knives there. I picked one up myself, only it isn't a traditional, so I can't post it here. I did enjoy getting to handle a few GEC knives. As for the pocket fixed blade, I had been thinking of going that route for a bit, the only thing that stopped me was the knife laws in the area.

I have kind of thought that the Case desk knife would make a good pocketable fixed blade. Here it is in comparison to an SBJ:

Deskknife001.jpg

They make a chestnut bone version now I think....

Ed J

Good for you Carl!
You'll know when "you're too damn old" when someone spots you on a park bench trying to fold up your puukko:D

Now that there's funny! I don't care who you are. (I just hope I'm not the guy the kids are pointing at and laughing trying to fold his fixed blade and not remembering how!)

Back