Seal 2000 and variations..

Tenbeers

Gold Member
Hello to all.
I'm doing some research on the Seal series. Any info would be appreciated.

The SOG Seal 2000 was produced from 1995 to 2007 in Japan.
Did the newer design with exposed tang butt come after the switch to Taiwan or before?
Thanks in advance!

Everything I've been able to read up on these two would lead me to believe that yes, the switch to Taiwan coincided with the SOG SEAL Team knife. I wouldn't doubt there'll be a few Seki made prototypes knockin about though...
You can see the changes in the SEAL Pup that coincide with the redesign and manufacture in Taiwan too.
You can see the changes in the SOG catalogues here - the SEAL Team first emerges alongside the SEAL knife in 2007.
https://onlysog.com/sog-catalogs-brochures/

Last edited:
Hello to all.
I'm doing some research on the Seal series. Any info would be appreciated.

The SOG Seal 2000 was produced from 1995 to 2007 in Japan.
Did the newer design with exposed tang butt come after the switch to Taiwan or before?
Thanks in advance!

The SOG Seal 2000 (as well as the Seal Pup) were originally made by the Kinryu Corporation in Seki Japan. Kinryu was owned by Harumi Suzuki who had a a history of OEM work for Lakota(Phil Hoffman), Condor, Blackjack (Mike Stewart), Cold Steel, and some others. Kinryu was already making the Tigershark, Pentagon, Tech I & II., NW Ranger and Government models for SOG so the Seal 2000 was just an added model. I'm sure you're already familiar with the Seal 2000's results from 1992 US Navy knife evaluation test.

If you haven't already, youmay find this thread very interesting.
SOG 2000 from the Navy Seals Museum | BladeForums.com

In 2006 SOG switched from Seki manufacture to Taiwan. While there were both Seki made and Taiwan made Seal Pups during the overlap, no Taiwan made Seal 2000s were ever made. The Taiwan made Seal Team Elite was introduced in 2007 as a replacement and it had an exposed tang at the end, which the Seal 2000 never had. This was in addition to other changes such as steel from Aus6 to Aus8, Tini finish, spine jimping, handle material to GRN, etc.

Last edited:
More great info! Thanks!

I owned a ton of Seki made pieces in the '80's and '90's. Several from the brands you
listed.
My main curiosity was whether or not the tang butt was ever done in Seki.

Thanks again!

The SOG knife Site does not even mention the spine jimping in the SEAL Team Elite's list of "features".

Knifeup review says:
"A fully-serrated spine offers an aggressive look and ultimate rasping performance for survival applications!"

Yea ok...lol. Personally, I think that while the jimping just in front of the handle can help press with the thumb if needed, the main purpose is to look very cool and tactical. Which it does. But not sure if that's a purpose.
NpgNYx.jpg

Back