Sealing Ebony...Should I?

I finally got the handle put on the Big Bowie I have been working on. I only took the handle to 400 grit because that is what looks the best with the way the blade is finished. Noticed as I wiped it off with a damp rag it seems to absorb water.

Should I seal it with a dull finish sealer or leave it alone?

The blade has been etched and had Plum Brown used on it to make it look old. I tried a piece of scrap with Watco natural finish, seems like it will be a little slicker than it should be when dry...

Thoughts!

I use beeswax or my beeswax/Johnsons Paste Wax recipe on all woods like ebony. I've never gotten any other sealer to look right. I know a lot of people who just run it under the buffer once but I like a little protection in the wood.

I'd protect it with something. If it's too glossy or slick you can always knock off the shine and slick with some light sanding.

I have always just buffed it and then used a paste wax. Any sealer or oil that I have ever used on it just seems to sit on the surface and do nothing.

My main using knife has an ebony handle and it works fine for me.

I use Watco, on a lot of my handles. I don't find that it gives a gloss finish at all. It will provide some protection to the wood.
If it is too glossy for you , just knock it down with 4/0 steel wool. Tape the guard first though.;)

Back