Sebenza 21 Snakewood

Snakewood is one of my favorite inlays I've got my eyes open for a Snakewood Sebenza to add to my MnandiIMG_3028.JPG

Last edited:
Left from the elder is Cocobolo. Right from the elder is Bocote. Shall we now enter into mammoth ? :)

Hey James you seem like an expert, I really didn't want to start a whole thread on this but what is this shiny spot on the back of the mnandis damascus blade? Why does it exist at all? I keep seeing them in 90% of mnandis on google. It's normal correct?

EF0243EC-0DE2-4B2B-9BA9-06EFB1ED0F0C_zpsqwhm0jny.jpg

5B04607B-C103-4BCF-B88A-094CC0ED2295_zpsn8pzpkcz.png

True. Its also visible at my snakewood damascus Mnandi. I would say it is part of the blade stock. While opening the blade, this part rotates along the lockbar. If that part would have been etched, to create damascus pattern, the opening action would be less smooth, as the lockbar would travel over the rough damascus pattern. Just my best guess. Others may confirm or correct.

True. Its also visible at my snakewood damascus Mnandi. I would say it is part of the blade stock. While opening the blade, this part rotates along the lockbar. If that part would have been etched, to create damascus pattern, the opening action would be less smooth, as the lockbar would travel over the rough damascus pattern. Just my best guess. Others may confirm or correct.
I agree. this is the part the washers rub against so I think the action would be horrible if it weren't smooth there.

595AC00F-15CC-4898-AB67-FE5F2A66E951_zps5bs8bck6.jpg
I agree. this is the part the washers rub against so I think the action would be horrible if it weren't smooth there.

Thank you both. It isn't so severe from straight ahead. I guess I should have figured it as much but this was my first Mnandi ever. It's extremely smooth opening.

Oh and she was created April of this year.

Last edited:
does anyone know if the gabon ebony actually has this nice dark brown tone in real life. i've seen many pictures where they look straight up pitch black

I think there will be always variations in terms of more dark and more bright. I also think that shop pictures where the ebony looks almost straight black are maybe taken under bad light. Because ebony wood is usually not straight black. But again, the brown tone may be darker or brighter. I recommend to buy only at shops where they are showing pics of the actual knife in stock, instead of showing sample pics or pics of previously sold knives. Also, if the pics are not good enough, you may ask them to shot some extra pics and email them to you.

This is a Sebenza Gabon Ebony and again, depending upon light and viewangle, it can appear more dark:

21, Gabon Ebony, Ladder, 03

..... or more bright:

21, Gabon Ebony, Ladder, 08

I think there will be always variations in terms of more dark and more bright. I also think that shop pictures where the ebony looks almost straight black are maybe taken under bad light. Because ebony wood is usually not straight black. But again, the brown tone may be darker or brighter. I recommend to buy only at shops where they are showing pics of the actual knife in stock, instead of showing sample pics or pics of previously sold knives. Also, if the pics are not good enough, you may ask them to shot some extra pics and email them to you.

This is a Sebenza Gabon Ebony and again, depending upon light and viewangle, it can appear more dark:

21, Gabon Ebony, Ladder, 03

..... or more bright:

21, Gabon Ebony, Ladder, 08

ok, i think i'm going with the gabon ebony mnandi. i'm looking at a used 2015 model, which is fresh back from the spa. do you think $330 is a reasonable price? (i don't think asking purchase advice against this page rules is it)?

ok, i think i'm going with the gabon ebony mnandi. i'm looking at a used 2015 model, which is fresh back from the spa. do you think $330 is a reasonable price? (i don't think asking purchase advice against this page rules is it)?

Being a gold member does have it's advantages. It does allow you to discuss prices ;)
New, they go for around 400.00, so, the real question is, do you think it's reasonably priced ?

Being a gold member does have it's advantages. It does allow you to discuss prices ;)
New, they go for around 400.00, so, the real question is, do you think it's reasonably priced ?

whelp... i answered it with action. just bought it lol

I cannot judge. If we are talking about the one with the standard S35VN blade and not about the damascus blade, I find 70 $ below dealer price not that much attractive for a used one. Not in that price range. On the other hand, Gabon Ebony is one of last years discontinued wood inlays. So chances to find a new one at dealers might get smaller.

.... okay. You are fast ..... :)

I cannot judge. If we are talking about the one with the standard S35VN blade and not about the damascus blade, I find 70 $ below dealer price not that much attractive for a used one. Not in that price range. On the other hand, Gabon Ebony is one of last years discontinued wood inlays. So chances to find a new one at dealers might get smaller.

.... okay. You are fast ..... :)

thanks for the replies. sales tax in my neighborhood is 8.875%, so the madagascar ebony would have run me about $100 more... which means i'm a cheap bastard i guess haha. either way excited for my first mnandi!

Hi everyone
I'm interested in getting a wood inlay Sebenza and have some questions I can't find answers to. If anyone knows I'd be grateful.
How dark do the orange/red Cocobolo inserts get? Do they have any issues later in life, like shrinking or oily textures?
Also how are the Bocote and Thuya Burl? Do they also get darker or have issues over time?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back