Sebenza 21 Timascus Thumb Studs

To skip the rambling, pics are below.

I wanted to create a stud that was similar to those found on Michael Raymond knives and a few older CRKs. After creating a prototype from a Benchmade stud, I reached out to a fellow forum member to have them made. He created his own proto from titanium (below), then a few tweaks were made and the timascus rod final drafts were complete.

Once received I softened the edges a bit, polished up what I could and torched them. I've torched a decent bit of timascus, but these were hard to get right! I couldn't think of a way to polish the front faces without loosing the jimping bite. So the color is slightly duller on the faces than the rest of stud. Overall I'm very happy with the result. These have a press fit and a dab of krazy glue.

If I were to change one thing, I'd probably make the jimping just a little deeper. Then possibly I could polish the faces without loosing much bite. The width and height of the stud are the same as stock. Although some pics make them look very tall, they are flush with the scales.

Went a little picture crazy!

dGKfwIO.jpg

RtwwpGP.jpg

rNJ8k5M.jpg

hk6jPCi.jpg

Pir6wg2.jpg

dtmZo8K.jpg

BmrsJnM.jpg

08Pf8kF.jpg

Last edited:
Those came out great! I've never tried it with timascus, but on the mokume stud I made to match my inlays I forewent mechanical texture in favor of a heavy etch for traction ;).

Screenshot_20180405-224208~2.png

~Chip

Just recently finished up a project with a fellow forum member. I wanted to create a stud that was similar to those found on Michael Raymond knives and a few older CRKs. After creating a prototype from a Benchmade stud, I reached out to a fellow forum member to have them made. He created his own proto from titanium (below), then a few tweaks were made and the timascus rod final drafts were created.

Once received I softened the edges a bit, polished up what I could and torched them. I've torched a decent bit of timascus, but these were hard to get right! I couldn't think of a way to polish the front faces without loosing the jimping bite. So the color is slightly duller on the faces than the rest of stud. Overall I've very happy with the result, they have a press fit and secured with tiny bit of krazy glue.

If I were to change one thing, I'd probably make the jimping just a little deeper. Then possibly I could polish the faces without loosing much bite. The width and height of the stud are the same as the stock ones, flush with the scales. Although some pics make it seem like they are very tall.

FRMgHyI.jpg

JISi8v3.jpg

5hikWXW.jpg

nckp6mM.jpg

UyU6CII.jpg

bX9Xu7M.jpg

DVOu3Vr.jpg

HSL9dfe.jpg

Those are awesome! They also have a way better shape than CRK studs which honestly I find to be some of the worst in that price range. Those “gas pedal” style thumb studs remind me of those found on the blur. I always found those to be an excellent design.

Those look great. I'm a huge fan of Michael Raymond's work (although, I haven't had the pleasure of owning one of his knives yet) and those are a great homage.

Out of curiosity, how well does krazy glue bond to titanium?

Dude that is killer. I would have used high strength epoxy, but that might hold.

How did the factory stud push out? Pretty easily?

I’m not a timascus guy, but those look great!
For metal to metal bonding in tight quarters, I’ve had luck with high strength LocTite.

Those came out great! I've never tried it with timascus, but on the mokume stud I made to match my inlays I forewent mechanical texture in favor of a heavy etch for traction ;).

View attachment 887460

~Chip

Appreciate it and I have oogled your sebenza many times (many). The etch for traction is a great idea.

Those are awesome! They also have a way better shape than CRK studs which honestly I find to be some of the worst in that price range. Those “gas pedal” style thumb studs remind me of those found on the blur. I always found those to be an excellent design.

Thank you and the blur was also a source of inspiration. I know I won't find it again, but there is a pic on this forum of an older CRK with a similar stud. At one point he made something very similar.

Those look great. I'm a huge fan of Michael Raymond's work (although, I haven't had the pleasure of owning one of his knives yet) and those are a great homage.

Out of curiosity, how well does krazy glue bond to titanium?

MR is unreal, if he ever did a lefty that would be it for me.

So far the krazy glue is holding very well. I've been surprised by this stuff in the past.

Dude that is killer. I would have used high strength epoxy, but that might hold.

How did the factory stud push out? Pretty easily?

Epoxy was definitely going to be the choice. Tried this glue as it was a little easier to work with and man it's holding strong. If it fails, epoxy for sure.

My pair had single studs so really just a pin punch/hammer combo does the job. I remove the blade, attach it to a block of wood with a hole drilled for the stud to fall in. Then just slowly tap it out. I've done this to five separate crk blades and never had an issue. As for a dual stud, good luck ha!

I am also a fan of the older thumb lugs. The MR style is a bit different but also quite nice. I don't have good pictures from the Galaxis but I'll have a few from the Estrella later.

_DSC8564.jpg

Sweet picture, very interesting! Finally seeing that older stud up close it looks different than what I saw in another picture. I guess my inspiration was more from Michael Raymond then! From another picture I saw (bad lighting) it looked like the stud above was almost flat on the top with a flat angled spot where the jimping went.

Last edited:
Sweet picture, very interesting! Finally seeing that older stud up close it looks different than what I saw in another picture. I guess my inspiration was more from Michael Raymond then! From another picture I saw (bad lighting) it looked like the stud above was almost flat on the top with a flat angled spot where the jimping went.

Thanks! Your lugs are definitely more like a Raymond, or like the Cook Lochsa. Stunning nonetheless and I would make a very attractive option if CRK ever offered it. As far as aftermarket modifications go this is one of my favorites.

Thanks! Your lugs are definitely more like a Raymond, or like the Cook Lochsa. Stunning nonetheless and I would make a very attractive option if CRK ever offered it. As far as aftermarket modifications go this is one of my favorites.

I appreciate it!

I've always thought it would be awesome if CRK released very small batch upgrade parts. Maybe once a year...

I wanted to create a stud that was similar to those found on Michael Raymond knives and a few older CRKs. After creating a prototype from a Benchmade stud, I reached out to a fellow forum member to have them made. He created his own proto from titanium (below), then a few tweaks were made and the timascus rod final drafts were complete.

Once received I softened the edges a bit, polished up what I could and torched them. I've torched a decent bit of timascus, but these were hard to get right! I couldn't think of a way to polish the front faces without loosing the jimping bite. So the color is slightly duller on the faces than the rest of stud. Overall I'm very happy with the result. These have a press fit and a dab of krazy glue.

If I were to change one thing, I'd probably make the jimping just a little deeper. Then possibly I could polish the faces without loosing much bite. The width and height of the stud are the same as stock. Although some pics make them look very tall, they are flush with the scales.

dGKfwIO.jpg

RtwwpGP.jpg

rNJ8k5M.jpg

hk6jPCi.jpg

Pir6wg2.jpg

dtmZo8K.jpg

BmrsJnM.jpg

08Pf8kF.jpg
I know this was from a while ago. But would anything like this be for sale for the sebenza 31?

Back