Sebenza 25... Go Figure...

Well put stabman.
I think all threads (whether positive or negative) are beneficial to the knife community because hearing the opinions of others actually helps us to form more accurate opinions of our own.
It's the personal attacks on each other that turn these threads to crap.
Some fanboys are just too sensitive to carry on a healthy conversation.
Im glad the OP pointed out the changes because I wouldn't have known otherwise.

No it ain't. Not at all.
The two companies have been compared for YEARS, and the adoption of the bushing system by one company as it's abandoned by the other is something one can actually have a discussion about without the annoying, mature retorts along the lines of "Well, neener neener, you're a weener for liking that knife", which is what many of the threads devolved into.

It ain't religion folks, it's knives.

And, strangely, on a knife forum, billed as the premier site for discussion of knives, some people like to have discussions about, well, knives.

Very well put! People are getting too emotional, this topic is relevant to CRK because the features of the other brand were pioneered by CRK! I would think the topic could be discussed here without a flame war!

Last edited:
has any word ever been released on why the move away from the bushing system?

I'll guess it's one of two reasons or both.

One, cost and ease of manufacture.

Two, the ability to tighten away any blade play, which has been a hot topic lately for CRK.

It's funny that there have been so many threads about blade play, then CRK comes out with a new version of the Sebenza that deals with that "issue" and now its "why are you getting rid of the bushing?!"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess:rolleyes:

It's funny that there have been so many threads about blade play, then CRK comes out with a new version of the Sebenza that deals with that "issue" and now its "why are you getting rid of the bushing?!"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess:rolleyes:

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong threads, they've been about up and down play, whereas losing the bushing allows you to tighten the pivot remove side to side play.

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong threads, they've been about up and down play, whereas losing the bushing allows you to tighten the pivot remove side to side play.

I believe you are correct, the blade play threads did not center around lateral play. Changing the pivot design would apparently not be a fix for the issues in those threads.

Ok, here is my two cents.

Since the introduction of the Umnumzaan many people complained, no bushing, yet it is still a fine knife and has proven itself. It does not surprise me that the Sebenza uses the same ceramic ball now. How many people did not post 'now that would be awesome'.

Many people complained 'why the two holes in the slab' answer is because of the machining process. The Umnumzaan does not have that extra hole.

Thinking about machining...the larger pivot hole can enable the machine to fasten the knife down in the machining process. Something that is not possible with the smaller diameter holes maybe?

For what ever its worth. Strider is using it on ONE model! It is not a complete system change. I don't get what all the fuss is about. CRK has to sell knives, keep up with latest trends, this is one of the latest trends, the oversised pivot.

The umnumzaan was mentioned as having everything in it that Chris has learned over decades. It does not surprise me the Sebenza has now gone the similar route.

It does not matter if a knife has a pivot bushing (sorry for those that absolutely demand it, but)...as long as the quality is there the knife will sell. The Umnumzaan has proven this as well as many other makers in the same price range. A pivot bushing is nice to have I agree, but not a necessity for quality or a knife. Times and designs change, it is part of the knife world.

Last edited:
I happen to think the no bushing approach will be great since I want control over how tight or loose the pivot is. The design also allows for wear over time since the sebenza looks like it will be passed down through the generations. Now as to the second cut out on the scale..... Guess I'll have to buy one to see how it fits my hand.

I happen to think the no bushing approach will be great since I want control over how tight or loose the pivot is. The design also allows for wear over time since the sebenza looks like it will be passed down through the generations. Now as to the second cut out on the scale..... Guess I'll have to buy one to see how it fits my hand.

How so? In what way do you think that adjusting the pivot will make it last longer? The new grip is interesting, I'll be buying one too. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again!" Al Pacino Godfather :D

So is the 21 being discontinued or am I misreading something?

Sent from Ash forum mobile

From second hand info - yes, it will be discontinued. :(

I just got my first and love it but now I find out its being discontinued. :( Will they still be fixed under warranty? Can I ship it in for refur, sharpening, ect?

I just got my first and love it but now I find out its being discontinued. :( Will they still be fixed under warranty? Can I ship it in for refur, sharpening, ect?

As long as CRK is running you will be taken care of, don't sweat it :thumbup:

well I have been trying to decide between the two of these brands. I have done it before and went with a protech. I guess I will just have to wait and see some reviews on these new models.

well I have been trying to decide between the two of these brands. I have done it before and went with a protech. I guess I will just have to wait and see some reviews on these new models.

The Protech offerings are interesting but I'll have to get over to YouTube myself and have a listen to some reviews. 154 cm steels (framelock folders) is no slouch and they're affordable. Interesting but more info for me too.

They only wear I could think of is after years of use the bushing system wears a very small amount which "could" result in side to side play. That may not be what actually happens though given that the only wear after 3+ years on my Sebenza Classics has really just been some smoothness due to what I think is bushing polishing. Not sure that it would even develop any blade play in my lifetime :)

How so? In what way do you think that adjusting the pivot will make it last longer? The new grip is interesting, I'll be buying one too. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again!" Al Pacino Godfather :D

From second hand info - yes, it will be discontinued. :(

Back