Sebenza, BM940, Camillus EDC

Through no thought or planning....all of these knives are due to arrive friday.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Anyone care to guess which one will be my EDC a month from now?

Note - Of the last three blades delivered, two were custom, and two were BG-42.
smile.gif

Small Sebenza 2000 BTW.

Wondering......

Steve-O

[This message has been edited by Steve-O (edited 04-25-2001).]

Steve, that's an easy one; small Sebenza.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

I would guess the small Sebenza. But then, you never know. I am getting my Camillus EDC tomorrow and I am VERY much looking forward to it. BTW, I am jealous, it looks like another 4 months before I have the cash to spend on the Sebenza. Doh!
Have fun,
Matt

Steve, all three are fine knives.

I also have a BM 940 (red with black blade #14).

I'm just so happy with my small Sebenzas.

I feel naked without it.

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

I can't say much about the Benchamde. It sure does look sweet. But with most any production knife, it's a matter of whether you get the better or worse of the quality control spectrum. With all the knives I've gotten lately, it seems that there is quite a bit of variance in production. The EDC also falls into this category. The SEB seems to be one of the few that are pretty much always great.

I have all three knives and all are very nice.

I received two of the 154CM EDCs from 1SKS and both are perfect. Fit and finish are excellent. I am glad that there weren't any problems with mine. They seem like a real bargain.

------------------
Dennis Bible

....Almost here, The Leading Edge....
http://www.theleadingedgeonline.com

...shakes his head sadly...

I regret to say...the Sebenza arrived before the others.

From the plain gray Ti exterior to the stonewashed blade, from the tiny ramped sapphire stud to the 'snick' it makes upon being opened...this is a well made knife.
I expected this and for the price, I should.

My only complaint is the clip, it is not made for belt wear. It IS a very good pocket clip, but I prefer belt wear.

We'll see how the others go...
smile.gif

Steve-O

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve-O:
Anyone care to guess which one will be my EDC a month from now?</font>

My guess: small Sebenza
Mine immediately displaced my blue 940, which was a personal favorite.

Both the Sebenza and the 940 came very sharp and with a few strokes on the 204 became very, very sharp. Not so the EDC, possibly the recurve (I don't own another), or the flat grind (it came sharp also..but resisted sharpening with the white stones).

The 940 is the largest of the bunch and is so light it almost feels flimsy, but it cuts well, and I love the Axis lock!

The Sebenza is...a Sebenza. It's all the good things I have heard, light, strong and smooth. What makes it cut so well? I have two other semi-custom knives in BG-42 and I think this might be the reason. Blade geomerty is my second guess.

Yes, I am tending towards the Sebenza.
smile.gif

Steve-O

Did you use the corners, or the flats of the white stones on the EDC?
I use the corners of the Sharpmaker stones sometimes followed by a strop on my EDC (a DDR in 420V-should be similar in sharpening technique, though), as the flats don't get the recurve. Sometimes finish the belly with the flats.
I'm not that great at sharpening recurves, myself, but get an edge that shaves easily. Not the hair-popping edge that I can get on my small Sebenza or 940, but that's ok, because I don't shave with a knife, and the recurve does outperform them significantly in actual cutting.
I will try to post a link to Joe Talmadge's post on sharpening the BM 710. The technique works equally well on other knives, too.
Sounds like you're having a pretty good week
smile.gif

Here's that link:
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000560.html

[This message has been edited by OwenM (edited 05-01-2001).]

OwenM,

"A good week" is an understatement!

Thanks for the link, a good thing to bring up every now and then for us 'newer' folk.
smile.gif
I did use the corners of the stones, I could see that the flats wouldn't do the job. The EDC is shaving sharp now but I think the bevels need thinning as Joe suggests. I had thought that some thinning might be the key. I have never thought of going back to the coarser stones though...interesting idea.

An embarrassment of riches...
smile.gif

Off to eat and then...more sharpening.
smile.gif

Steve-O

I haven't toted my 940 but a couple of times since I got a large sebie in april. I sometimes carry both but I always tote the sebenza. I have found for me the sebenza is easier to touch up the edge on than the 940 . By the way Steve-O , You may want to check out the post in the for sale section for a horizontal leather belt sheath for your sebie. They look like a good way to carry one, but I like the pocket clip myself.
smile.gif

------------------
"A six blade Knife will do anything for you"-Dire Straits

would vote for the seb - got a large, but never carry - hey nothing wrong w/it, just dont wanna scratch that high $$ baby up - and got a few other knives to carry - but if $$ no object, or ya want the A#1 folder, sebenza is #1 - wish they made a larger 1 to take advantage of the 5.5" blade allowable in tx - a seb w/a 5" or so blade - i want 1 yesterday LOL - for some reason i keep getting bigger knives - my wife even commented "they keep getting bigger" - SIFU, then a CRKT Kasper folder , both big knives - just into the bigger 1's now i guess - and by golly that CRKT Crawford/Kasper fighting folder is a helluva lot of knife for less than $50, IMHO also.....

vet

Go 'against the grain'...make it the 940!!!!
wink.gif
smile.gif

------------------
teacher

Had to 'touch up' the 940 after some light use this week. Not so the Sebenza, still shaving sharp, even after hacking up some limons at a local Cinqo de Mayo festival.

I'm trying to use them equally, but the axis lock makes the 940 so easy to pull out (with either hand).

Maybe they will be a good combo...
smile.gif

Steve-O

Back