Sebenza Coated?

Has anyone had their handles on the Sebenza coated with any of the boron, teflon or other types of coatings? I was thinking that the new boron carbide coatings discussed in the December 2001 Blade,which are suppossed to be very scratch resistant, might be just the ticket for keeping the handles of the Sebenza looking good for a long time. What do you all think? Please post some pics if you have them.

Thanks.

Tom Mayo will put a finish on the Sebenza like he puts on the TNT. It is WAY more scratch resistant than the Sebenza finish. Look him up at www.mayoknives.com. I don't know how much he would charge but I know that he can't make enough TNT's to satisfy the demand. It is one hot knife. Look into it, you won't be dissapointed. And Tom is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Here is an ongoing conversation on the coating. I think it might work well on the ti handles, as you mentioned, because of its high hardness. The article in Blade mentioned that rust could creep in under the coating from the blade edge (this also happens with chroming), so I’m not sure how well it works as a protectant for steel. In the article there was a lot of emphasis from the knife makers using it about how “cool” it looked and a good description of the process of applying it, but not a lot of data about use and wear besides the casual comments they made.

Hmmm I was also concerned that like Chrome that rust could get under the coating and would thus be near impossible to remove. BT2 might look but ugly once passed through cardboard a couple of times, but it stops rust very well and that is worth a lot with steels like M2.

I wish companies would at least offer satin or stonewashed steels that otherwise always come with Boron or BT2 protection. We are not all chimps who expect all steels to be stainless and thus rust proof.:rolleyes:

Everyone-

Last year I bought a coated sebenza, and sent it into the factory for service. Chris called me, very upset, and explained that, due to the tight tolerances in the knife, they can't warranty anything coated at all. I ended up buying a new set of handles and new internal parts. Please, please call the factory before considering something like this.

Back