Sebenza collectability - value question

I have an old model small Sebenza, ATS-34, marked with "P83" , which I understand to mean production.

My understanding is that in consideration of standard, non decorated sebenzas, there is no collectability or premium placed on these models, correct?

The reason I'm asking is I'm probably going to be sending it off to Pontiaker for the Mad Dog / Pontiaker Mods, and I just want to make sure it doesn't have greater value over and above a normal using sebenza.

Thanks,
DaveH

I wouldn't say no collector value or premium placed on the Sebenza! As time elaspes and prices go up, the value may go up. Also as newer models with modifications come out on the same knife, some may prefer the older ones which will make them worth more. Supply and Demand! I just got my two Lg. Sebenza's and even though they are very nice knives, I decided not to use them but rather stick them away with my collection of unused knives. My boys were given older versions which I wasn't real knuts over. The newer versions triggered my emotions for wanting them because of the newer modifications to them. But, they are still a little too small for my liking for use that is, actually a little shorter than the older models.

Value, I'm sure will never go down and more than likely increase in value over the years!

Since I got my Lg. Sebenza's last week, for me, this knife is for collectors purposes rather than to use now! Great Knives worth the money!!

Mark

Shhhhh!!!! Don't tell Stjames that there's no collector value in Sebenzas!
smile.gif

I doubt that the Sebenzas will accrue much value in the near future, as they remain widely available. But IF (when?) they do, the original ATS-34 models may be much more valuable than the BG-42 blades.

That said, any such modifications that you have done to it will not *necessarily* diminish its value. In fact, it may *increase* it (depending, of course, on the quality of the mods and the reputation of the modifier). I.e., it becomes a "rarer" and nicer, *customized* Sebenza. To that end, it's wise to keep your authenticating paperwork (CRK "birthday" card and receipts/correspondence from modifier; get it in print -- better than e-mail!).

My .02 --
Glen

Originally posted by storyville:
Shhhhh!!!! Don't tell Stjames that there's no collector value in Sebenzas!
smile.gif

Especially when they might just have a value to him!

Dave, before you send that knife off to be mutilated, drop me an email. I have a plain old style small reconditioned with new thumb stud that would be a much better candidate for the Laboratory.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Dave:
All knives have a "collectablitiy" value. I'm sure that the knives will be a major collectors item but it may take 20 years. Buy the the knives for the joy of having them and if the turn out to be real valuable, the more the better. I the early 80's I bought several Gerber Paul Knives for $69.00 to $89.00. Now they go for $300-$400. The Wall Street Journal recently did an article about knives as investments and they compared favorably with stock market returns. IMHO the value of collecting knives comes from having something nice that you really like. If it gives you pleasure, great! If not, you probably shouldn't be wasting your money on knives, you would be better in the stock market. But, you can't hold and admire a stock.
smile.gif

Aw come on James, when are you going to send me one to grind on in my laboratory? (In my best Dr Frankenstien accent)
Matt

[This message has been edited by Pontiaker (edited 04-11-2000).]

M: "There, There Mr S., you won't be needing that little sebbie where we're going will we?"

Mr. S.: "Erm, um, uh well I guess not."

M: "I'll just take it now and put it in a 'safe' place.."

Sebbie (in small voice): "NOOOooooo...."

Suddenly M steps behind a hidden door, it slams closed, and an evil laugh is heard as the sound of a grinder starts up in the deep dark basement.

"MUUUHHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAA"

Matt, you sick little puppy
tongue.gif

Let me know if you and Igor actually bring one to life! Does your grinder ever overheat when lightning strikes up in the Castle?

Dave, don't forget to tell us how the Bride of Frankenstein turns out
wink.gif

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 04-12-2000).]

Back