Sebenza handle grip "tweeking"

I saw this article in the latest Tactical Knives and I thought it would apply nicely to the Seb. It was talking about adding stair tread tape to the Benchmade Pinnacle to aid in the grip on the smooth Titanium. I though that it might work and it might look good...

:D WOW--did I like it! I found some dark grey tread tape at my local hardware store for about $1.00/foot and bought a foot to play with. It took some time to mark out the stencil and to cut it, but my first attempt (partial grip additive on "front" side [non locking side]) looked pretty good. The stuff is really sticky and does a great job of staying where it is put. The nice ting is that it can be removed and replaced fairly easily and cleanly if/when you want to change or delete the feature.

I was wondering if you guys have tried this as well. The dark grey looks great on the light grey of the titanium and you can cut the tape to make any "design" or shape on the handle that you want. Cutout around the screws or not, leave the "CR" emblem visible or not, carry the tape as far down the handle as you want. Pretty cool and actually helps the grip-ability quite alittle bit.:p

Well, let me know whatyou guys have tried and any caveats that we need to watch out for.

David

Very interesting, Sproles. I hadn't thought of applying the stuff to my Sebenza. Amazingly to me, I find the grip increasingly comfortable and ergonomic feeling as time goes on. And, I've felt that the bead blasting of the ti gives it more texture than I would have expected. Nevertheless, am interested in maybe giving the stuff a try.

A few questions: How thick is the stuff? Like 1/32", or less, or double that? Most importantly, does the stuff stick well enough that the edges won't be coming loose after a bit of use/wear? I'm sure they have to use a pretty good adhesive, but something that easily got frazzled around the edge would be a PIA.

Were there any other colors? Is it reasonably easy to cut? Pretty abrasive? For lack of a better word, is it "sparkly?" The stuff on the Dieter looks a bit that way -- am not saying it is bad, just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Bugs-
The stuff is not sparkly, but more like rubbery. It is very thin...1/32" is a good guess.

My first attempt was good, but I did not take into account the screw's heads very well. The prevented the tape to sit all the way down on the handle. My second should be much better. It seems to be very sticky, but I have been able to remove the first one without leaving a sticky residue.

I hope you enjoy...it looks cool. RE: colors...grey was the only they had...a nice match BTW.

DPS

you also can use Plastic Dip. it is available in
a spray can and can be removed with paint thinner
r remover. just tape what u don't want coated.

later, mark

I applied this treatment to a large Sebenza I had. It worked out very well, I used three strips on the back side ( clip, lock bar, back )and a large one on the front and it really help getting a grip on it when opening. You have to round the corners to lower the likelyhood of it pulling up.

It reminds me of the Spyderco's with the rubber inlaid in the handle. Ennyhoo, it gives me greater confidence in carrying and using. To me it really changed the feel of th eknife for the better.

Thanks, Sproles. As usual in the murky world of my memory, had forgotten about this. Was very enthusiastic, then saw I'd posted before. Part of my excuse I learned today. For 10 days have been taking a medication double strength of what I'd been taking for the better part of 4 years. The pills were a different color, but that's not unusual at a co-op, where they constantly search to buy cheaper. Anyhow, who knows? In a day or two I'll be back to "normal" -- or my very unusual version of that.

Did you or Dave find any difficulty withdrawing or drawing your knife from the pocket with the tape on? I'm getting close to ordering a sheath from G2, and I'm not sure what the added thickness would do to the fit, or if it would make drawing it very difficult. There aren't very many ways I wish to die, but down pretty close to the bottom of the list is tugging at a knife I can't get out of a pocket or sheath. I can't face the thought of eternity with the last sight here on earth being the laughing face of the a&*hole who did me in. Not that I carry the Sebenza for that purpose anyhow. I carry it because I can't bear to be parted from it.

CyberSlacker -- I've seen a few pictures of that rubber stuff. I have to admit I think it is extremely ugly. While I have a guilty past in poking some fun at the Sebenza's appearance, for which I am truly very sorry, I don't have the heart to put that gunk on mine. For me, the problem is that the only place I've seen that stuff is on a well-known custom maker who uses it a lot. From my perspective, his knives are so ugly I can't imagine spending small amounts of money for them; which is no worry since they're very high priced. Can't get over that prejudice, I fear.

Think I may try some of the stair tread stuff tho.

It does make it stick in the pocket better and harder to withdraw. This is a plus for me as I've had it slide out a time or two and I found it on the couch or chair later.

It definetly could change how a snug sheath fits.

AS for looks, I think it looks better because my first thought when I see it is "Hey, that's gonna be grippy!"

Bugs,

G2 will, of course, be the ultimate authority on the subject, but I don't see how a G2 sheath can function properly if friction enhancement is applied to your Sebenza. The sheath G2 made for my large plain Sebenza is a not only a beautiful work of craftmanship and esthetically pleasing but virtually guarantees that the knife is not going to go anywhere if I don't deliberately take it out of the sheath myself. It is very securely form fitting, and in my opinion would almost weld itself to the knife if more friction were added.

I have only my own experience to draw upon and welcome other opinions.

Back