Sebenza (huge) blade play

Hello everyone,
I know there are already a lot of threads about this but as it is a very popular knife i think it will be usefull anyways. I recently purcheased an small sebenza 31 and when it arrived i tested the "lock rock" issue that a lot of people have been experiencing. At first i saw that when pushing the spine it moved a bit seemed to stop at some point. Today i did the same but applying a bit more preassure (5-9kg) and it keeps going and going and doesnt stop at any point, i mean it stops because it touches the table but if not im pretty sure it would keep going.
The distance between the blade and the table is 3-3.5mm and i can reach it without applying a lot of preassure.

Last edited:
What does the lockbar do when you push down on the blade like that? See any movement there? (That's not how this - or any other folder - is designed to be stressed.)

What does the lockbar do when you push down on the blade like that? See any movement there? (That's not how this - or any other folder - is designed to be stressed.)
I dont see movement in the lockbar.

This is why I don't like the ceramic ball interface and prefer the lock on the 21. Since the ball is the only thing touching the blade tang, it basically creates a pivot point, so the blade can move until it hits the flat part of the lock face. The 21 doesn't have this, so it's a flat-on-flat interface with more surface area.

CRK0183-SC157-7.jpg

This is why I don't like the ceramic ball interface and prefer the lock on the 21. Since the ball is the only thing touching the blade tang, it basically creates a pivot point, so the blade can move until it hits the flat part of the lock face. The 21 doesn't have this, so it's a flat-on-flat interface with more surface area.

View attachment 1780501
Wow, I didn’t know that. So the blade tang is basically “balancing” on just the ball? Rather strange.

I have an old small that says "Classic MM". No rock there. Maybe they mixed it up with an Impinda?

Is the pivot loose at all? a couple times I’ve seen this issue, people didn’t tighten the pivot enough

View attachment 1780501
But the inkosi and zaan don't do that. It's a special "feature" of the 31.

View attachment 1780501
I see that on the 31 CRK created a channel for the ball interface on the tang of the blade. I think that's the problem, from my unprofessional perspective. The inkosi and zaan don't have that, or the rock issues of the 31.

Back