Sebenza sheath ?

I was wanting to order the leather sheath for my new Sebenza. I want to know where does the sheath ride at...Is the top of the sheath even with the top of the belt or does it ride above it, and if so how much above.

Thanks!

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

The sheath that CRK sells, made by Gfeller Casemakers, rides 1-5/8" above the belt. They are very well made and well worth the cost, but if you want something special check with our own Gary Graley. He makes a great horizontal carry sheath that rides below the belt line, but has the talent to put together just about any style you could want. Just ask Kodiak or MDP or Senator or my brother after he opens his birthday present next week.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Ive seen Gary's horizontal sheath and have wondered how well it secures the knife? I like a sheath that rides even with the belt line....It keeps my fat from getting in the way!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

I just ordered a new horizontal sheath from Gary for my sebenza that is not even here yet. I had him make one for my Spyderco Military and it came out superb. There is no problem with the knife coming out and it stands up very well in everyday use.

He also makes vertical sheaths and I bet he can make it to your specs with no problem.
His quality is outstanding and at a reasonable price.

Beware: save yourself some time and have him make you a belt at the same time.
Don't tell anyone about that last part because it is a secret.

Shhhh Bo

Keith, the Sebenza's are about my favorite knife to make a sheath for, the titanium handles work well in the leather.
The only thing I ask folks is, if their knife has been refurbished by Chris Reeve, as the sandblasting makes the overall size slightly smaller and in that case I'd probably need your knife to make the sheath.

The sheath grips the knife very secure, you need to locate the sheath behind a belt loop to aid in removing the knife from the sheath.

Thanks James, hope your brother enjoys that nice gift you're giving him!

Gfellers sheaths are Top Notch in my book as well, you can't go wrong with them either!

G2

------------------
"There are no dangerous weapons;
there are only dangerous men."
.......... Robert A. Heinlein, 1959

G2 Leatherworks

Gillett, PA.

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 17 December 1999).]

Keith, Gary's horizontal sheath holds the knife very securely. I used one at work for the last eight months without any problems whatsoever, and I am fairly active when on the clock. I am constantly being asked “Aren’t you afraid of that falling out?” and the answer is “Not at all.”

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Keith,
I completely understand your reason for wanting a sheath that rides low.
redface.gif
I also understand that you live in the Cincinnati area, as do I. If you want to see some of Gary's work, then drop me an email. I have a couple of his sheaths. I have a decorated, horizontal one for my old Large Sebenza, and a vertical pouch for my new model Small Sebenza. Let me know if you would like to see them.

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

Kdarmy!
Gary Graley also makes a sheath for the Umfaan in belt carry at about a 45 degree angle according to his website.That way it could be a one hander also.
I have some of his sheaths, and one is for the small Benza in the open horizontal sheath.I've been carrying it daily for months, and have NEVER had a problem with it slipping out.It just snaps locked into place, and stays there.
Gary, if you are listening, let me know when you are caught up after the holidays, as I want you to go ahead and make me up a belt sheath for my Umfaan.No hurry, just put me on the list for after the holidays.THANKS.

Larry

Gray, I e-mailed you
redface.gif

------------------
-Humpty

Proverbs 23:2

AKTI Member # A000984

Thanks Paul and Larry,
Paul I had posted the connection of your location previously and then removed it, didn't want to be too presumptuous!

Larry, I'll pencil you in, right hand carry? and similar to the one on the web page? Not sure if our Indian friend will fit, but I'll make it nice.

Humpty, I'll look for your email Monday, for some reason our company email system isn't letting internet mail come through so I haven't gotten any email since Friday afternoon. So hang in there and I'll get back to you.

James, Greg Mete `Kodiak PA', also gets the same question put to him. I once showed a lady here at work my knife and sheath, she pulled the knife out of the sheath, struggled a little, and then pushed it back in, and then asked `What keeps it from falling out?'
I said, remember how strong the sheath kept the knife when you were pulling it out? and she said `Oh, right!' kinda funny that I had to explain it to her after what she went through to get the knife out.

One other fellow had a thinner belt, nylon or something, and had trouble removing the knife from the sheath, he asked if a leather belt would work better. One of the questions I ask before I start someones sheath is what size belt will it go on, in this case he had bought the knife/sheath from another person. The belt just makes the sheath ride a little more secure.

G2

------------------
"There are no dangerous weapons;
there are only dangerous men."
.......... Robert A. Heinlein, 1959

G2 Leatherworks

Gillett, PA.

Back