Sebenza smoothness mod. . .

MDQBox

BANNED
Hey, I though I would share this video with everyone that I found on youtube about smoothing out the washers on the sebenza in order to achieve a much smoother action and maintian zero blade play. I did it just now and got awesome results. Check it out for yourself.

[video=youtube;VzTYNRunJN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzTYNRunJN4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

********* As the video states, only try at your own risk. *********

Hmm. I don't want to seem too skeptical, but 1/100th of a mm doesn't seem like it would make a tremendously appreciable difference. He put an awful lot of grease between the bushing and the blade that wasn't there before, and then he used even more around the washers themselves. That seems like it was the cause of the enhanced smoothness to me.

I would've liked to see a comparison against a similarly lubed but not modified Sebenza. Or maybe one where he lubed and stropped the washers but didn't remove any measurable amount of material.

Still, whatever the actual cause, he did make his Sebenza a heck of a lot smoother! :thumbup:

I don't know that I want my Sebenza to fall open like his does. Maybe i'm not picky enough yet but I think this is a little too over the top.

Hmm. I don't want to seem too skeptical, but 1/100th of a mm doesn't seem like it would make a tremendously appreciable difference. He put an awful lot of grease between the bushing and the blade that wasn't there before, and then he used even more around the washers themselves. That seems like it was the cause of the enhanced smoothness to me.

I would've liked to see a comparison against a similarly lubed but not modified Sebenza. Or maybe one where he lubed and stropped the washers but didn't remove any measurable amount of material.

Still, whatever the actual cause, he did make his Sebenza a heck of a lot smoother! :thumbup:

(Remember that BOTH washers have 1/100th removed for a total of 2/100ths or 1/50th of a mm)

When I did it I first removed the recommended amount of 1/100th of a mm from each washer and put it back together. I didn't notice any real improvements. I went ahead and took BOTH washers down each .02 mm for a total of .04 mm combined. Each washer is not .37 mm Now I notice a real improvement while maintaining ZERO blade play. I don't recommend anyone doing this without the proper equipment (micrometer, 2000 grit sandpaper, etc.) and a tinkerer's heart.

Back