Sebenza Wanna-bes...

I came across this board, while looking into purchasing a Chris Reeve fixed blade. Then, after hearing the unanimous raves here about the Sebenza, I thought I'd ask my local knife retailer about it. He said it was a nice knife, but that he didn't have any in stock. So he proceeded to show me a few knives from other manufacturers--including one from Benchmade that looked like a deliberate imitation--that he claimed were comparable, but less expensive.

So, my question is, what, if anything, sets apart the Sebenza from similar knives made by other manufacturers? Are the differences primarily in materials? Workmanship? (I won't bother to ask about "service," since this board is strong evidence that CRK has some of the most astounding customer service around.) Do you "get what you pay for" with a Sebenza, or are you just paying for the well-respected (and deservedly so, it seems) name?

Thanks for any info.

ldsdfw

If a knife dealer says the other" integral-lock" folders are comparable quality to the Sebenza...R U N , don't walk out of that store!

While the "Pinnacle" and the CRKT versions represent their own value, I believe they are nowhere near Chris and Anne's products both in execution, materials and customer service.

Check out Benchmade's forum for complaints about scuffed-up Titanium Pinnacle stocks, and you'll see NO advice at all about returning the product to Benchmade for refinishing...because it isn't offered!

Ask CR Knives and you'll get a personal message from Chris or Anne about sending your 'Benza back at any time for refinishing to make it look brand-new!

I own a "First Production Run" Pinnacle, and think its an excellent knife. I don't know about the other " Benza Knockoffs"

But I do know very few, if any, other production knives come close to a Sebenza, the customer service is superb, and its a product to last a lifetime and pass along to your kids or others.

Then there's the issue of the Decorated Sebenzas...........

[This message has been edited by drshame (edited 03 December 1999).]

i don't have a sebenza, but i've handled one. i also have one of the "sebenza knockoffs" namely the benchmade. over on the blade dicussion forum, the general concensus is that you get what you pay for. the benchmade is a nice knife. i like the whole concept enough that i may soon overcome myself and spend the money for a sebenza. in short, the sebenza is much higher quality, some call it perfection. to me it's darn close, while the benchmade is just good to great. personal decision really.

drshame,

you said something about the issue of decorated sebenzas... what do you mean? was that a good comment or bad?

------------------
-Humpty

"Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty dumpty had a great fall.
Maybe Humpty should of had a knife."

Every Sebenza I have owned or handled has had nearly flawless workmanship, with the cutting edge polished to perfection. With other knives, such as Benchmade, the quality varies more: I have owned Benchmade knives that needed significant work on the edge to get them paper-cutting or hair-shaving sharp.

Workmanship, fit and finish, overall quality and the customer service puts Chris Reeve and his Sebenza way above the "Wanna-bes".

------------------
The vague and tenuous hope that GOD is too kind to punish the ungodly has become a deadly opiate for the conscience of millions.

*A. W. Tozer

2 Cor 5:10

Humpty,
I was in awe when I bought my Large Sebenza.
To keep it company, I bought a Small Sebenza, and have used and carried it a great deal.
Then I saw Anne, Chris and Scott's decorated knives, and knew I wanted one in my collection for my kids to fight over in the future.
I talked with Anne about what I was looking for...and she advised to send in my Big 'Benza for credit towards a decorated, Devon Thomas raindrop damascussed bladed large Sebenza.
I swallowed hard, and sent it back for the Reeve folks to work on.
Hours turned into days...turned into weeks, turned into about 3 monthes.
Anne finally told me it was reday, and how much more I owed for it. I swallowed hard and sent in my $$$$.
Then it arrived...INCREDIBLE!!!
Blade, perfectly sharpened, with a myriad of great "Thomas Raindrops".
The design: a golden sunray pattern with a split sun in gold and blue. The gold rays perfectly cut and anodized into the high-polished Titanium Handle. When I let the light hit it just right...it sparkles like a diamond or piece of cut crystal! If I knew how to digitally post the image, I'd of done it in a second!

The "Decorated Sebenza Thing": Art, Science, Engineering and a spiritual quality all its own.
If you don't own one, you'll think I'm off the deep end.
If you already have one, you've already taken the leap..and you're happily swimming right next to me. I think they can be considered Museum Pieces!

Anne, Chris, Scott and the rest of the family...keep 'em coming, we appreciate your work and your customer service!

Back