Sebenza

sdw

In the begining,was the Sebenza designed to be used as a heavy duty folder?Has there been any changes made over the years to accommodate heavy useage or has it pretty much remained the same over the years?
Other knives with similar locks tend to get jammed when heavy force is applied in the cutting motion.Will this happen with a Sebenza and will that decrease the life of the lock?
What is the life expectancy of the Sebenza's lock?
I've got one coming to me and plan on useing it as a daily work knife and will see action everyday.Thanks
scott w

Hello,

I have used an old large sebenza with ATS34, daily as my main working knife for 18 monthes.
The knife is like new. Only minor scratch on the handle.
The Lock is like the first day.
So I cannot measure its life span...

Now, I have retired it as is it a gift and I treasure it.

Since the Paris Blade Show, I got a small BG42 New Sebenza.
It's my main working knife.
It has allready hit/fall concrete, iron nails, without to chip.
(A little resharpening on a Spyderco's and the little wound was healed...)

I don't know who could destroy a Sebenza if you use it as a folding knife should be used... (not like a pray bar or throwing knife)

Cheers,

jm

Ah, this sounds like a question that Stjames and others can answer at length, esp the bit about its history. I'll throw in my .02 but more knowledgeable folks can elaborate.

The Sebenza was certainly devised as a heavy duty folder. If you haven't yet seen it, I believe the CRK site at www.chrisreeve.com provides some of the background rationale as to how and why Chris Reeve designed it the way he did. Note that CRK originally only designed tough, working fixed blades, and C Reeve didn't want to create a folder unless it could stand up to a high measure of use. The original idea was essentially to create the toughest folder available.

The main feature, which I believe was introduced by CRK, is its integral lock. It took the concept of the liner lock originated by Michael Walker and strengthened it exponentially, essentially by eliminating the liner and making the thick handle scale itself the locking bar. From the start, CRK has used the best available material, 6Al4V titanium, for its strength, durability, and light weight. (Some recent threads have discussed this issue specifically.)

Several of the top makers now also use the integral lock design for its proven strength and reliability. Newer excellent locks have since been developed like the Axis, but note that, to date, *no* Sebenza lock is known to failed in actual use.

There has been some concern expressed about the relative softness of ti, and therefore its potential to wear quickly. But Anne Reeve recently noted that CRK heat treats the face of all of the Sebenza locking bars, which creates a thin coat measured as high as *90 RC*. I personally find that quite remarkable and dificult to believe, but suffice to say that my own Sebenza lock (which has seen near-daily use for 2 yrs) has shown no real signs of wear. Moreover, I have not seen any postings by others indicating actual wear -- and some folks here have had theirs for many, many years.

The Sebenza has seen several minor changes over the years, all towards improving its performance. The handle design in particular has seen some notable changes. But the most significant change, no doubt, was CRK's adoption of BG42 as its blade steel. Folks who have both pretty consistently testify that it shows a real improvement all-round over the ATS-34 which CRK used previously. There has been substantial discussion of late re: 440V, 420V, talonite, and such, but CRK remains satisfied w/BG42, for which it has devised its own heat treat. For users, it still appears to deliver excellent cutting ability, toughness, and edge-holding, along w/high corrosion resistance.

Also, CRK's customer service is tops in the industry. If you have a problem, Anne Reeve and co. will do everything they reasonably can to make things right.

I'm not sure what you mean by "jamming," and which knives w/similar locks you're referring to, so maybe you can elaborate a little on this? (Have the blades collapsed *inward* due to a *cutting* motion?! Or has the lock been jammed inward to point where it's difficult to remove?)

Anyway, I can go on, but you may simply want to check out some recent threads, if you haven't already done so. (Recent one by Scarman, who just got his "first"!)

Bottom line, you're getting a great knife. The best? I dunno, but it's certainly the best folder I've handled, and I've put it through some tough paces. When you get yours, give it a go, and let us know what you think! -- praise, criticisms, whatever!

Glen

------------------
“The piano has been drinking” -Tom Waits

SDW,

I have only had mine a very short time but I can tell you I love this knife. I have used it for light duty only but have been ensured by the masses that it can take a licking and keep on going.
I can't speak for lock wear but I have read up on it using the search function and as Storyville mentioned the lock face is heat treated and as yet I have noticed no complaints about it.
I would say don't worry about it. Enjoy your new knife and prepare to put it in your will and pass it on, as it will certainly outlive you or I.
wink.gif

------------------
The greatest thought that has ever entered my mind is that one day I will have to stand before a Holy God and give an account of my life.
*Daniel Webster

Rev 20:12

This thread http://www.knifeforums.com/ubb/Forum25/HTML/000046.html contains some good details about the changes the Sebenza has been through since its inception as a heavy duty utility folder.

I have carried and used a Sebenza of one size and style or another for the last eight months while working on the Opera Season. The reliability of the knife is astounding, it is one of my most trusted tools.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Thanks for the great info.I'll go on to check out the the additional information.Anyone else want to share their experiences with this fine knife?
Storyville,what I mean by jamming is when the lock (liner lock style knives) goes so far over that it is hard to unlock.I guess when hard pressure is applied things will flex alittle and cause the lock to move deaper into the locked position.
scott w

SDW,
Yeah, that jamming you describe is one of the reasons folks sometimes get very dissatisfied very quickly w/liner locks on mass-made folders.

When you get your Sebenza, you're getting great precision and attention to detail that you'll only find in handmade folders costing a bit more (which is one of the reasons why some 'Benz owners believe that it's *inexpensive* for its quality!). There are two neat, subtle features which minimize or prevent the kind of jamming you describe:

1) the top-back of the blade, above the pivot pin, has a milled groove which perfectly aligns with the stop-pin in the open position. CRK's idea here is to increase the surface area where the two pieces meet, to more widely distribute any applied pressure. Further, the sleeve on the stop-pin can be rotated, or even replaced, should it ever show signs of impact (i.e., get "squished" over time). Most folders simply have the flat surface on the back of the blade meet a thin stop pin, therefore concentrating all stress on a tiny contact area. Particularly since they tend to use lesser metals than the Sebenza, they wear faster, and consequently the blade "loosens" on top and the lock jams in further at the bottom.

2) the other nifty feature is that the bottom-bak of the blade, which contacts the locking bar, is ground at a slight (but visible) angle. Mine locks snugly at about the halfway point. Should the locking bar ever show wear or "slide over" due to the kind of stress you describe, it will continue to remain in contact w/the back of the blade. On most other folders, the back of the blade is ground flat ("squared off"), so that its inside corner is the only point which can connect snugly w/the locking bar. Once it moves past that point, the blade needs to "sag in" slightly in order to lock up. The ground angle on the back of the Sebenza's blade anticipates that.

Sorry to sound like a salesman... It's those little details that make the Sebenza a... well, a Sebenza.

------------------
“The piano has been drinking” -Tom Waits

storyville,

The angle on the bottom of the blade tang is a feature all liner/integral locks incorporate. If it wasn't for this angle all liner locks would have play very quickly. Liner locks typically stop at the mid or a little before the mid point and wear across over time.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

I have had my lge Sebenza now for 4 years - no noticable wear (I don't flick mine open). Even if the liner moves over right to the opposite scale due to wear it will not get jammed because the liner is a lot wider than the space between the blade and the scale.

Back