Recommendation? Second World War knife please help!!!!

hello everyone! i Just got a Second World War Japanese folding knife/ multi tool and the blade on the Knife itself is very loose, it has no locking mechanism and is held in place by a pin, i was Wondering if there is a way to make the blade significantly less loose than it already is, i tried lightly tapping the metal in place but am scared of damaging the knife itself... is there any ways that i would be able to resolve this issue? i am open to any suggestions- Dark P
img-0768-jpg

Why would a new pin be a mistake?
A collector of WW2 items would or could believe it is a fake. "New pin = fake" "over cleaned and polished to look "new" = Fake" Collectors (especially those who collect war time items) want original condition, no matter how bad it is.
Preservation by removing any active red rust is acceptable, so long as it is not "restored" to new condition. It would not be too difficult to copy the handle, giving credence to the "its fake" belief.

If mine, at  most I might try peening the pin - provided I had the correct tools - including a rivet setter to keep the pin heads rounded. Even if I had the proper tools, I would be far more likely to leave it as-is, and display it in a shadow box, or something, and get a current production friction folder (or slipjoint) for use.

If you want a friction folder user, there are plenty of friction folders besides MAM, SVORD, and Opinel on the market at "reasonable prices".
("reasonable price" is always based on income, and the "comfort zone" for how much person is willing to spend for that item.)

to be honest i may just need to hammer the pin in place carefully it seems real loose anyways

That's all down to friction. If it has any value at all trying to fix it is a mistake. If you want a similar daily user you want one of these.

Higonokami
Higo-no-Kami-Tokudai-Nagaokoma.jpg
It doesn't look like it has much of value i got it off of Ebay for like 120

That's all down to friction. If it has any value at all trying to fix it is a mistake. If you want a similar daily user you want one of these.

Higonokami
Higo-no-Kami-Tokudai-Nagaokoma.jpg
also, if i were to put friction into it, what would you suggest i do as friction?

also, if i were to put friction into it, what would you suggest i do as friction?
The friction just comes from the handle. Removing the pivot and peening a new one in would be doable but you first need to find the right pin, remove the old one without causing more damage, then fit the new pin and use some sort of tool to fine tune the action of the knife. Most folks who do this use what's called a stiddy.

i have good news! i was able to flatten out the pin a tad bit more using leather as a cushion and now it is much more stable than it was, i think i can safely close this thread without regrets!

Back