Secondary Bevel?

Quick question if I may, as to your preference on secondary bevels. My Woodsman and Ladyfinger are both convex with a slight secondary bevel. I'm curious as to whether or not I would hurt the function of the blades to bring the convex all the way to the edge. I have some convex choppers where the convex goes all the way. What are your preferences? I believe I'm going to bring the Ladyfinger all the way to the edge regardless, to thin out that "shoulder" from the secondary bevel.

I prefer no bevel. I havent altered my Bushcrafter, but I am noticing the bevel is slowly getting stropped out.

I would take that bevel straight out, but that is me.

I think a full convex makes a great and strong edge.

TF

I turned my RAT-3 in a full convex. It was a great move.

Kyley Harris has a great tuto on youtube.

The FB blades I've handled have all not had a secondary.

I read somewhere else on the forums that Andy is now doing a final secondary bevel on a slackbelt. I went ahead and started some mousepad/sandpaper work on both and gently worked them on some 600 grit up to 2000. Mostly knocked the shoulders off. My first time working with 01. Gets scary sharp after some 2000 grit and then green compound on leather!

Every knife I've done has a small secondary bevel. That includes the Woodsman from the passaround, and the convex sabregrinds. I stop grinding when the edge approaches 0.010" thick. Also, my convex grinds are very close to flat. Were not talking about an Appleseed edge. Were talking really fine edges. They'll handle a zero edge I'm sure.

Back