1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking advice for blade corrosion

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by funkymotor, Nov 2, 2018.

1. funkymotor

funkymotor

Nov 2, 2018
    Hello, first post for me! I recently acquired this knife in this condition. It has bumps and valleys on the blade and also looks like it has been sanded previously. I do like a patina look but do also like an even look. Is there any chemical or physical treatment I could give this blade to improve the appearance and give it a more uniform appearance?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sharperthansticks

Sharperthansticks Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2017
    You could try Barkeepers Friend, but assuming you get the rust off, you're still going to have pits and valleys. The only way to get rid of those would be to sand down or regrind the knife, though you might be able to make them less prominent by stonewashing the blade. You can stonewash it yourself using a small stonewasher from Harbor Freight. Of course, how much effort and money you put into the knife is going to depend on how valuable you think it will be once it's all fixed up.

3. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    I would clean it and sharpen it and start using it "as is" the patina will continue to develop as you use it :) and it`s already beautiful why loose what you already have :).

Alberta Ed likes this.
  4. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Looks like a Bob Kramer Zwilling. Was a pricey knife

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/henckels-bob-kramer-carbon-steel/chefs-knife-p123470

Barkeepers Friend, elbow grease, immediately followed by baking soda paste and more elbow grease to neutralize the acid in the BKF. Soap water, and dry.

Some of the textured corrosion will likely vanish in that process. Corroded carbon steel is a crap shoot but nothing alarmingly bad in that one.

Lets see after that.

Jim

5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I agree with the other posts here.

But also here's another video too.

Khanvoy44 likes this.
  6. flphotog

flphotog

Jul 10, 2014
    Now that was pretty amazing

7. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    One good method of prevention would be that one great product put out by Sentry Solutions. I'm speaking of their "TUF CLOTH" product that puts a thin layer of anti-corrosion protection on knife blades. I've used it for years on tool steels and on high carbon steels with excellent results.

It's really hard to beat the "Bar Keeper's Friend" products for cleaning off corrosion, rust and most stains. I go through a big can of it about every week. It's also great for cleaning sharpening stones as well.

8. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Hey that's the first time I've heard of using baking soda to neutralize the acid in Bar Keeper's Friend. I've always used "Platinum Dawn" dish soap to remove all traces of BKF after using and it seems to work well for me. Because if you dont' do something to get rid of the residue of BKF it will come back to haunt you. But tell us how you use the Baking Soda?

9. Night Rider

Night Rider

Apr 16, 2018
    That was some Amazing knife skills and the restoration process was eye opening Providing he didn't film it in reverse:rolleyes: I'll never walk past a rusted blade at a flea market again :cool:

10. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Some of those professional grade Japanese Chefs and Culinary knives are truly at the top of the heap quality wise. The one thing he had going for him that it was a very well constructed knife to begin with and a professional grade knife at that.
    Most people think that Japanese made knives are in the same league as Chinese made knives>> but that is just not true at all. Because the Japanese have been metallurgists for most of recorded history. They were pounding out Samurai Swords all the way back to when Columbus supposedly found this country ( USA). One of my late uncles who was a WW II veteran and highly decorated told me that after any battle they had with the Japanese the US soldiers wanted those swords like they wanted their next breath of air. He said they also prized their bayonets, and military issue knives too. And that was about 30 years ago when he told me all of that.
    You can also put German made knives in about the same category. I got really lucky about 3 months ago and found about 3 dozen super high quality, German made kitchen knives made by J.A. Henckel, Wustof, F. Dick and Messermeister. They have all been really good ones too and I don't think I paid more than $1.50 for any of them. But the German culinary knife steel is good too.

11. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Make a paste, scrub the blade like it was cleanser, rinse, clean with dish soap, wipe dry.

12. AFAustin

AFAustin Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I enjoyed that video---very impressive work and entertaining as well. :thumbsup:

Andrew

13. fmrranger

fmrranger

May 13, 2010
    Dude has some serious sharpening and food prep skills!

14. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    There is no need to neutralize after using BKF. Just rinse the knife thoroughly, or wash with soap.