Seeking Util Knife w/Quality Stock Kydex

Greetings, howdy, etc. to everyone here. I've been reading around for a couple of days, learning lots, and developing a deeper interest in blades. Thanks for all the info your discussions have already made available.

Now, I'm on a Quest. I'm looking to buy a sturdy utility fixed blade knife, probably in the 5-7" range, for hiking and camping (not long-haul backpacking). I've learned, here, that there are a number of good blades that fit this category, and do so within my price constraints (let's say, under 130 or so; ideally, under 100). Information is a little more sparse, however, when it comes to the stock sheaths that come with these knives. So my question is: do any knives in this category come equipped with a really quality sheath useful for open/outdoor carry (i.e., concealment is not an issue). My ideal would be something like kydex and tec-lok; but anything that's secure and that could easily be adapted to different carrying positions could make me happy. I know this ideal could be achieved with a custom piece of kydex, and if that's what it takes, then fine; but since the sheath is already there, I might as well let it be one factor in my decision.

What stock sheath do you like (on knives like, or comparable to, Becker, Swamp Rat, Ontario, Fallkniven, ...?)? And what's really just a throwaway?

Thanks again for the forum discussions, and your input on my Quest!

How about the A.G. Russell "Woodswalker", you can get it with a kydex sheath, and it has a good reputation. $24.95

6 inches long overall, lightweight and durable.

phpoYnEPx.jpg

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_...woodswalker_in_leather_hip_pocket_sheath.html

You can also get some BRK&T knives that you can then order a custom kydex sheath for, but at about 4 times the price of the A.G. Russell.

1gailt

Gold Member
you might want to check out al-mar sere operator.good steel S30V and a nice sheath.

ChristopherG said:
I'm looking to buy a sturdy utility fixed blade knife, probably in the 5-7" range,

Just to clarify, do you mean 5-7 inches "overall", or 5-7 inch "blade"?

5-7" blade. I've got a couple of 2-4" blades--Kershaw and Benchmark folders--for small cutting jobs. Looking for something with a bit more heft for potential chopping and knock-around duties.

Tell the truth, a Ka-bar looks like a bargain of a knife to me, and pretty capable of doing what I'd ask of it. It might be simplest to get one of those and order the sheath I want, custom made. But, as I say, I'm at the front end of this learning curve, and know there are lots of things out there I have yet to learn about.

1gailt--that al mar looks like a fine piece, and the sheath system sounds just right. Thanks for a fine suggestion.

I like the AG Woodwalker, especially the leather pocket sheath. A bargain for the price.

You might also consider the AG Russell Hunters Scalpel (my carry knife for hiking) or the Bird and Trout (next size up). These knives come with quick-release hard sheaths and choices of blade materials. There's even a larger model, the Deer Hunter.

Here's the link to the Bird and Trout:
http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_...s/a_g_russell_bird_trout_with_vg10_blade.html

Honestly, I rarely if ever use a knife while hiking, so the Hunters Scalpel suits me just fine. But if you expect to use a knife quite a bit, I'd say that the Bird and Trout may fit your needs better and it's within your requested size parameters.

Best Wishes, and Happy Shopping,
-Bob

I doubt there are any Dozier knives at that website for < $100. Prices on Bob Dozier's knives range from $200 - over $1000.

-Bob

1gailt

Gold Member
a suggestion for anyone considering the woodswalker if you have a wife better get two.my wife promptly took mine for a kitchen paring knife:)
ChritopherG you're welcome

Cutshaw

Gold Member
On the low end of the 5-7" range might be the Becker Campanion. They are incredibly sturdy knives and, honestly, not the one I would pick BUT it does come with a kydex sheath.

Caveat: Make sure you like the handles. Love 'em or hate 'em; not a lot of "in-between."

While definitely not for chopping, The spyderco Temperance fixed blade is 4.5" long with a nice flat grind, vg-10 blade steel, scarey sharp from the factory (at least the one I handled was), and has a kydex sheath that is absolutely top notch with a tech lock five position carry accessory. You can get one for 69.99 or less if you look around, and they are slicing machines. Cliff Stamp has a nice review you can read if you google it also. If you want something that is a little more chopper and still good for other uses in the 5-7 inch blade range, I like the becker bk-7 (paid 49.99 for mine at sportsman's warehouse) though if you want a kydex sheath you will have to get one seperately, cold steel srk (41.99 off ebay)kydex sheath, or for a real hum dinger of a 7" blade knife that is darn near indestructible check out the cold steel recon scout 7" blade 5/16" thick you can get it for around 80.00 kydex sheath included. While not the "creme de la creme" of knives, these are inexpensive, tough, and will get the job done, and if you lose or go crazy and destroy one of these, it won't hurt as bad as it would if it were a custom super hooyah, do everything, walk on water, chop wood all by itself, scare the hair off your arm, vorpal blade of camp slaying (sorry but got on a run there lol).:D

These are all helpful suggestions. Let me add a requirement, if I can: I want to be able to carry this knife horizontally on my left hip. When I hike (in jurisdictions where it's permitted), my right hip is already occupied by Mssrs. Smith and Wesson. Easiest way to access a knife, I figure, is going to be crossdraw--blade down, horizontal left side.

Perhaps this is a reason to tend toward the shorter end of my desired 5-7" blade range? How long a knife can you carry horizontally? The CUDA pictured above certainly looks like it'd work. Could you do it with a BK7 (if you had a sheath made up for it)? A BK9? Or would it be easier to stick to a shorty like the Campanion?