Seiko Decision?

I'm looking at two Seiko diver models for those times I don't want to wear my Omega SMP. They are the SKX779 automatic and the SMY001 kinetic. Both are available at:
www.princetonwatches.com
Anyone have any thoughts?

Paul

Is that the black monster? They are really nice, but LARGE. Try ebay, I have seen them sell for as low as 85.00 dollars and usually for less than 150.00$.
If you want a REAL dive watch, try ST. Morritz. Thats what divers wear. Some models use an ETA 2824 movement with a see through back, which is what a lot of highend watches use. Maybe even your SMP.
The only problem I have with a seiko automatic is that when it comes time to clean it you throw it away. It cost more to oil it than its worth.
My 2 cents.
Mike Morris

St. Moritz?

Curious... the divers I've known usually wear some derivative of a G-Shock or a digital dive computer...

-j

Between the two, get the Automatic. The Kinetic has a battery that is a PITA to deal with if it goes bad. The Automatic (SKX779, aka "Black Monster"), is a good choice and if it stops working, $50.00 and you can have any competent watch maker put in a new movement. A really nice watch. I've heard of St. Moritz, but I think Seiko is probably the better bet. Oh, and you may have problems with the 779 if you're in America. Its not, strictly speaking, for sale in the US, and so sometimes Seiko will refuse to honor the waranty. Just so you're not shocked.

Sincerely,
Anthony

SpyderJon said:
Between the two, get the Automatic. The Kinetic has a battery that is a PITA to deal with if it goes bad. The Automatic (SKX779, aka "Black Monster"), is a good choice and if it stops working, $50.00 and you can have any competent watch maker put in a new movement. A really nice watch. I've heard of St. Moritz, but I think Seiko is probably the better bet. Oh, and you may have problems with the 779 if you're in America. Its not, strictly speaking, for sale in the US, and so sometimes Seiko will refuse to honor the waranty. Just so you're not shocked.

Sincerely,
Anthony

Not for sale in the US? Thats funny. There are a few of them down the road from you in Leesburg, VA at the Seiko Factory Outlet. Perhaps you are confused... ;)

That said, if you ever need a Seiko repaired, do NOT send it to Seiko Coserv in NJ. I had a nightmare of an experience dealing with them to service my Orange Monster. First time I sent it because of a problem with the movement, and it came back with many deep scratches AND wasn't fixed. Complained and sent it back. Received it with a new case that was also scratched up, my still scratched bracelet (with more now) and on top of that, the bezel is way loose and the lume dot sticks out. Extremely disappointed. I meant to detail my experience and post it on the Seiko Citizen Forum (along with pictures), but never got around to it...

As for St Moritz, I thought that was a cheap, off brand. :confused:

Mark

PWork said:
Both watches come with the 3 year Seiko USA warranty.

Paul

Are you specifically looking for a Diver style for your 'beater'? The Black Monster is nice. As is the Orange Monster. I personally am not a fan of Kinetics. Have you looked at Citizen Eco Drives?

Mark

I prefer a diver....even though I can't even swim. :eek:
I've always liked the looks of them. I haven't really looked too closely at Citizen.

Paul

Re Coserv -- 110%. They are ridiculously useless. Waste of money, time, and on their part, breath.

re St. Moritz -- yeeees. :)

-j

Minjin said:
That said, if you ever need a Seiko repaired, do NOT send it to Seiko Coserv in NJ. I had a nightmare of an experience dealing with them to service my Orange Monster. First time I sent it because of a problem with the movement, and it came back with many deep scratches AND wasn't fixed. Complained and sent it back. Received it with a new case that was also scratched up, my still scratched bracelet (with more now) and on top of that, the bezel is way loose and the lume dot sticks out. Extremely disappointed. I meant to detail my experience and post it on the Seiko Citizen Forum (along with pictures), but never got around to it...

As for St Moritz, I thought that was a cheap, off brand. :confused:

Mark

Have you considered a SKX007?
How about a nice Bill Yao mod - like mine!
mkii5mv.jpg

I have seiko automatics, kinetic and auto relay watches. I like the auto relay by far the best. The kinetic and automatic are about the same as far as durability (based on my experience).

I've read great comments about St Moritz from several people. I've never read anything about them being knock-offs.

St Moritz is not a knockoff. They are made in Canada. The autos use 2824 ETA movements. St Moritz will overhaul/oil it every two years for a total of three times under warranty. The serious divers that I have met wore them.
They are high quality and very reasonably priced, because nobody knows about them.
I'm sure the Casios are nice though, if you don't mind carrying a brick on your wrist. And yes, real divers carry a dive computer.
Mike Morris

Minjin, I must be mistaken. I thought that model was a Japan only. I've seen some places advertise it on the net as being the only authorized dealers to have the 3 year warranty, but I didn't know they were widely available. My mistake, and I didn't mean to dispense disinformation. Forgive. On another note, I would still take the skx779 over a kinetic any day. I had a kinetic and the damn thing never did work right. After only a year it would lose nearly 10 minutes a week. Like the autos though. good, solid value IMHO.

Sincerely, if mistakenly,
Anthony

Back