Seki vs. Taiwan SOGs

Hello, all.

I’ve been a knife lover and collector for many years…mostly Randall, Case, higher-end folders, and a few customs from some Master Smiths. A week or two ago, I added my first SOG to my collection, a Seal Pup Elite. I’ve fondled it quite a bit, but haven’t used it yet. For what it is, I like it. It’s light, ergonomic, and a really nice size for treks in the woods. Since I got the Seal Pup, I started browsing this sub-forum and it seems everyone highly favors the earlier Japanese knives.

As a SOG newbie, I’d like to ask why you all think the Seki knives are more desirable than the Taiwanese versions? I did a search, but didn’t really find anything. Is the fit and finish better on the Japanese knives? Do people prefer AUS 6 vs. AUS 8? (Both seem to be rather run of the mill steel.). Is it simply because the Japanese knives are no longer available, so people want them for nostalgia?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brad

Nostalgia to a large degree, but in some ways the Seki Pup could be a little more 'robust' from what I've seen.
I have both, have used both and they're both great knives.
The Taiwan Pup is superb - Aus8, nice and pointy, less edge lost to a choil. The Seki Pup I could see myself being more prepared to put under some abuse - less of a fine point and the Aus6 will take a hammering. The Seki Pup also has some lovely lines to it, a real Kydex sheath and the fact it's no longer in production makes it a desirable knife.

*edit - congrats on getting a SEAL Pup - they're very good little knives.

My interest with knives began with SOG’s made in Seki. Aside from nostalgia, I think at least the Seki fixed blades had a little more refinement. One thing in particular is that all of the Seki fixed blade models had soldered cross guards. There is zero gap on those knives. I have a Tech 2, Pentagon, and Northwest Ranger that I can see this on. That’s not to say some of SOG’s newer models aren’t very nice. I also have two Kiku XR’s, a pentagon XR, Seal XR, a super Bowie, and two Pillars. The Pillars are some of the best fixed blades Sog has released in several years, in my opinion.

In my opinion its mostly the "nostagia". The WANT TO HAVE of things thats harder to find. If you look at the Trident (SEKI) and the Trident 2.0 (TAIWAN) there are some differeces. For example the SEKI made has a thicker blade than the TAIWAN made.

In my opinion its mostly the "nostagia". The WANT TO HAVE of things thats harder to find. If you look at the Trident (SEKI) and the Trident 2.0 (TAIWAN) there are some differeces. For example the SEKI made has a thicker blade than the TAIWAN made.
There are other differences as well. The grind itself is different at the ricasso. Additionally, the Seki Tridents use an extruding pommel nut, where the Taiwan 2.0 uses a flush nut with 6 holes. (Note: not all Seki S2s had the COO on the pommel).
The Seki SOGs are now collector items. The fixed blades being very popular from 1986 to 2007. SOG continued their Seki folders until 2017 or thereabouts.
3UKT8T.jpg
SekiTYrident S2.
c5EMCq.jpg
Taiwan Trident 2.0
egGBGx.jpg

DVjHxW.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, all.

I’ve been a knife lover and collector for many years…mostly Randall, Case, higher-end folders, and a few customs from some Master Smiths. A week or two ago, I added my first SOG to my collection, a Seal Pup Elite. I’ve fondled it quite a bit, but haven’t used it yet. For what it is, I like it. It’s light, ergonomic, and a really nice size for treks in the woods. Since I got the Seal Pup, I started browsing this sub-forum and it seems everyone highly favors the earlier Japanese knives.

As a SOG newbie, I’d like to ask why you all think the Seki knives are more desirable than the Taiwanese versions? I did a search, but didn’t really find anything. Is the fit and finish better on the Japanese knives? Do people prefer AUS 6 vs. AUS 8? (Both seem to be rather run of the mill steel.). Is it simply because the Japanese knives are no longer available, so people want them for nostalgia?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brad
Seki Sog Bowie (S1 , Navy Seal , Tiger Shark etc) ....have have been made of incredibly hard SK-5 Carbon Steel.
while EVERYTHING that came out from the Taiwan Factory is made of AUS-8 Steel....
+ The construction is ROCK solid on Seki while Taiwan ones have rat tail tang with couples of mm threads and are well know for getting loose
simple as that buddy.

Search YOUTUBE video titled : SOG Bowie 2.0 by the uploader GLB Woodsbum 256

Seal teams Seki Japan, Verses Seal Team Taiwan.

The Seki Japan Seal Team is AUS 6 steel in order to handle the 2 weeks salt water immersion test verses the Taiwan Seal Team with AUS 8. There are other changes in size and weight. Both are good knives but the Seki Models are preferred by collectors. My nightstand has a used Taiwan Seal Team knife for emergencies, AUS 8 has been a good steel for me.
more information; SOG seal Team 2000- Seki
Cropped side by side.JPG

Seki Sog Bowie (S1 , Navy Seal , Tiger Shark etc) ....have have been made of incredibly hard SK-5 Carbon Steel.
while EVERYTHING that came out from the Taiwan Factory is made of AUS-8 Steel....
+ The construction is ROCK solid on Seki while Taiwan ones have rat tail tang with couples of mm threads and are well know for getting loose
simple as that buddy.

Search YOUTUBE video titled : SOG Bowie 2.0 by the uploader GLB Woodsbum 256
The S1 and S2 made by Hattori were SK5 and Aus8 respectively, 1986-2006.
The Tech, Tiger Shark were originally SK5 but switched to Aus6 later. The Seal 2000, Seal Pup and other models
were always Aus6. Thesee were all made by the Kinryu Corporation, who closed their factory in 2017.

When SOG switched to Taiwan manufacture in 2006, they wet with Aus8 on all models. The Aus6 Seal 2000 was
replaced with the Seal Team in Aus8. The Seal Pup also went to Aus8, plus the Elite version was added.

Back