• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Seller Danger Signals

All these "Danger SIgnals" are my opinion only, but whenever I notice these kinds of things in the individual forsale forums it seems like the seller ends up here in GBU fairly soon.

Seller nows EXACTLY what MSRP was.

Seller tells you what a good deal you're getting.

Seller posts forsale items in non sale forums.

Seller BTT's their ad a million times.

Seller know exactly how much shipping and insurance will be ahead of time.

Any others people can think of?

DaveH

I don't see why knowing the cost of shipping ahead of time is bad? I think I have a good reputation here as I have done MANY trades and buy/sell deals. I can tell you that it will cost me $3.55 to send your knife to you by priority mail with delivery confirmation. Pretty standard rates at the post office. Maybe I misunderstand you?

------------------
Brian

[This message has been edited by bteel (edited 12-22-2000).]

I do alot of selling/buying/trading here at BladeForums, and I almost always use Postal Priority Mail, with Delivery Confirmation, and it's almost always $3.55. I know that.

I also know what my purchase/trade is worth, so I know what to expect or ask for in a trade. It's just good business-sense to know the (MSRP) of what you have, or are looking at buying.

I don't think anyone here on BladeForums has ANYTHING at all to worry about ("Danger Signals") when dealing with me, as I take my honesty and fairness very seriously!.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Gee Dave, don't ya' just hate it when you shoot yourself in the foot
smile.gif

Oh, and BTW guy's, Priority maill will see a price increase when the New Year begins. And ya' know what, I'll still know how much shipping is ahead of time
wink.gif

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

Hmmm... if any member of these forums is apprehensive concerning potential transaction(s) with any other particular member(s), then a simple request for references from those who have done prior business should provide a starting point for some sense of security. SOP, correct?

L8r,
Nakano

If I want to sell something and it is a higher priced knife, I may send it BTTT quite a few times. It has never occoured to me that someone would think that this is a warning sign. I would just think that the person is eager to sell. When I see someone else doing that, it tells me that the person is eager to sell, and may be willing to let it go for a lower price if it hasn't sold in awhile. Most use it just what the letters stand for, to keep it up at the top where it's going to be seen. Most often when someone offers forsale items in other forums, it is just usually lack of knowledge of the forums or a mistake. What is the big deal about knowing MSRP? Most often they are posted all over the net on dealers sites, who here pays it, it's just a reference point
rolleyes.gif
I've let a few people have "good deals" and I have expressed it. I've gotten a few "good deals" and the seller has expressed it to me. I've ended up in the GBU forum, Under GOODafter a few sales. I think if people wouldn't jump to conclusions, and run right to the GB&U, then more could be worked out privately, thus saving some face for people. In a nutshell, DaveH, I would say that I, and I bet a lot of other members here, won't agree with most, if any of your comments.

BH

[This message has been edited by BH (edited 12-22-2000).]

Any knife buyer or seller worth his salt of course will know the MSRP. Hell if you don't know that to begin with how can you gauge the price at all? Shipping? Doesn't take an Einstien to figure out its always about 3 bucks for priority. As I said in another forum are some of you guys buying direct from the factory and avoiding dealers? Not
Bob

*I* don't think I shot myself in the foot,
tongue.gif
there's certainly plenty of room here for disagreement.

Let me try to give an example, and dig myself a deeper hole probably, When someone quotes MSRP in an add the folowing thoughts go through my mind:

1) MSRP is a meaningless, inflated figure.

2) There's no point in quoting it in a forsale ad.

3) I figure it's quoted to try and show me what a deal I'm getting, which probably means it's not a deal after all.

Example 2

1) Seller quotes sale price plus exact figure for shipping, ins, etc.

2a) Maybe seller knows because they know. (As mentioned by you all )

2b) Maybe seller knows because they're focussed more on the money than the knife.

Hopefully 2a > than 2b, but 2b stills possible.

DaveH
DaveH

Hmmm, dont sound like any danger signs to me. I have sold a few things where I have BTTT a few times, and have seen other trustworthy people BTTT alot. I think one reason for this is when you post a knife/knives for sale, it gets knocked off the screen to fast by people that figure if they have 20 knives to sell, they feel compelled to make 20 seperate posts. When that happens, your one post gets lost real fast.

As far as shipping goes, you sell enough knives and pay enough shipping, your gonna have a pretty good idea of what it costs.

MSRP...doesnt set off any alarms for me.

If im going to do a deal with somebody, I simply do a search in GBU. If I dont find anything, I will ask around to some of the people I trust and see if they have had any dealings with that person. If I cant find any info, I take my chances, and have NEVER been burned in a deal.

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Posted by DaveH:

Seller nows EXACTLY what MSRP was, Seller tells you what a good deal you're getting, Seller posts forsale items in non sale forums, Seller BTT's their ad a million times, and Seller know exactly how much shipping and insurance will be ahead of time.
</font>

If anyone takes these rules to heart ~ a knife trade or purchase would never take place!

Hell.......just my opinion and wish you all a Happy Holiday ! ! !
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by GigOne (edited 12-22-2000).]

Sounds like somebody did somebody wrong?

But the list of things you've listed as warning signals aren't something I'd worry about either.

Not getting a knife in the condition it was told to me, or not getting paid in a timely fashion if at all, now those are things I'd really get nervous about, or emails of excuses like, `Well you know the weather in the south is pretty bad right now so don't expect that knife to arrive too soon....) makes me weep
frown.gif

But knowing what you have and how much it'll run you to ship? nah, but I do agree mentioning the MSRP is pretty much a waste of time and really doesn't do a lot for the sale....

So, who did you wrong and who should we be on the watch for?

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Danger Signals?
Heck, I'd be more concerned if some one didn't know what a knife would cost most ppl. If I don't tell you what a good deal you are getting, you might not think it's a good deal and leave. If I don't know what shipping is going to cost, How can I put a final price on it? "That'll be $55 and something for shipping, I'll let you know how much later."

Someone who likes to trade would know all of the above. I would consider these to be qualities of a good knife trader!

My 2% of a dollar...

------------------
Mark, Isiah 40:31 They that wait on the LORD shall mount up with wings as eagles...

I myself had never had a problem with anyone here. I think with most people you can look at the amount of posts they have and feel safe. In my opinion someone who has many,many posts on the forum wouldn't have been around for so long if they're not making good on their word or their deals.Just like a dealer,you don't like the price,don't buy(or trade). Also unless someone says their prices are firm theres usally a few dollars to play with.As stated before,if you do enough trades,sales here you're going to have a real good idea of the shipping rates. If I pay $50.00 for something with a MSRP of $90.00 and sell it or trade it for( approx. two weeks later and it hasn't been used) $35.00 then I'm probably going to tell someone they got a good deal and ,they probably already know it.Anyway for what it's worth it's just my opinion. Dave
biggrin.gif

This may not be a danger signal, but you CAN get stung by people who've been posting here for quite a while and have good references. Bruce

I'll agree that the MSPR is worthless.

The rest of your "warning signs" mean nothing to me at all.

Reputation and honesty will prevail above all else.

There is a saying: "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." I might be an idiot for doing so, but I assume everyone on here is honest until I know otherwise.

I think the gist of Dave's message is:

caveat emptor

Not a bad way to think. The specifics of it are undoubtedly up for scrutinization...

biggrin.gif

Brandon

------------------
Quis ut Deus

I have to agree with everyone else here in that those things I normally see and don't worry about one way or another in a post. People have different marketing strategies and when you're new you usually start by putting EVERYTHING you know about the knife down and learning you really need less later on. Interesting thing about MSRP is, once during a knife request on 'Knives Wanted', I read a post from someone who indicated a suspicious MSRP and then looked it up only find he was $30 higher than any MSRP listed I could find anywhere else. That time I paid attention and kindly declined the offer even though his selling price was good obviously his intentions may have been otherwise. I've never been burned on a deal here and never burned anyone else and have found that the main thing is keeping open communication. If you just keep the person aware of what is going on things usually go great. The way I figure it, like an old buddy told me, is that if it only costs you a hundred bucks or so to find out if someone is going to F*CK you then that is cheap insurance indeed. Do a bit of homework, feel the person out and in the end remember it is ONLY money and if someone is willing to risk their relationship with other Forum Members and their reputation in general then perhaps they needed it more than you did. Just my 2 cents but I have quite a lot of faith in the people here!!!!

Shawn

[This message has been edited by Emanym Ton (edited 12-23-2000).]

I’ve been fortunate in dealings here, also. Yet based on my experiences, I cannot really identify in a "For Sale" posting what elements automatically indicate an "honest" transaction. Likewise, after reading several dozen threads about deals gone sour, I cannot make generalizations about "warning signals" that fairly or effectively indicate malicious intent. Folks represent themselves in different ways, and I try not to pass judgement based on what might turn out to be simple stylistic distinctions.

Most of us also recognize the difference between bad deals resulting from misunderstanding (e.g., what counts as "mint," "excellent," "very good"?), and those with spoilers who are out to pull a fast one (e.g., "he requested cash sent to a PO box ...!"). The initial posting is a poor barometer for measuring the distinctions between these two possible scenarios, and a great buy/sell. Communication matters: Good communication before agreeing to the sale usually clears up misunderstandings; those brief private e-mail exchanges can also provide a better opportunity to detect a fishy deal.

That said, a deal that sounds Too Good To Be True should be approached with caution, and not with careless haste to impulsively close a "killer buy."

My .02 -- happy holidays all,

Glen

Back