• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Sellers Who Give Good Signals

Saw the post about bad signals and since most feel the way I do about those not really being things to worry about. I decided to start a new one about the exact opposite.

I am in no way trying to offend the original topic starter. I just thought of a few thing I look for and things I do personally to show that I am on the level.

1) Don't be afraid to give your phone number in a email to talk the trade over first.

This in my opinion shows that you want the person to feel they can contact you easily to make sure the transaction is smooth (it's also nice to talk to fellow knife Knuts).

2) Give your real name and the name you use on the forum in the email.

The persons name makes me feel more personally in touch. The user name is a good way to check to see if the person has any good or bad comments against the person (let's face it, it's not being nosy it's what it is here for). I also feel more comfortable doing a trade when I run into deals with people that I have discussed other topics on.

3) Offer referances from past trades.

If the that person doesn't mind having emails sent to them ( I know I wouldn't have any problems giving out a opinion on a person I dealt with).

4) Amount of topic post.

I like to see that someone has been around for awhile. If they value thier reputation and enjoy posting they won't want to risk losing thier good name and the privelage rights of being able to post.

5) Be open to discuss other payment options.

This was recently posed to me by an individual wanting to buy a knife from me. He had never done a knife deal like this and he was nervous about not knowing me. He offered the idea of COD through the mail. He also offered to pay the extra cost. Feeling that he is on the level, I am going to send the knife and let him pay me after it is recieved forgoing the COD charges. Half paid before and half after delivery might also be a matter for discussion.

If anyone else has what they consider good signs, please feel free to reply. If you disagree with my opinions, please explain why.

I would also like to note that none of these are sure signs, they can prove both right and wrong in my opinion. For instance I have recently dealt with several people who have had very low post and these have turned out to be some excellent transactions.

I think we can all do eachother a favor by listing people that we have had good deals with. Then just punch in a name on the search and you have an instant referance. I plan to make my list soon and I invite everyone to add to it.

Thanks

> Same email & phone

I'll agree that's a warm fuzzy.

On an occasion or two I've gotten two or even three separate email addresses from one person. I called one person one time and the person answering said, "This is his boss, and he's supposed to be working!" - oops

> Past history GBU

That's always a good idea. Except that for some people, perhaps like myself, have only done 6 or so transactions a year. They've all been positive but haven't reached enough people to register a positive in GBU.

DaveH

Communication, Communication, Communication... That's the main thing. If you can't get to the PO because you're wife was crying and needed comfort, or 'whatever' just let people know. Most of the time people will surprise you with how understanding they can be.

ALSO, trust your gut... If you just feel something is not right for whatever reason whether you can put your finger on it or not then just get out of the deal if for no other reason than that. If it seems wrong it probably is wrong.

Great thread!

Shawn

------------------
"The difference between being a Coward
and a Hero is not whether you're scared,
it's what you do while you're scared."
Unknown

hey dave, do a search in the g,b, & u for your name. you said you have not received any positve postings, i beg to differ!!

------------------

a cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.
The only thing better than a good knife is a good woman:D
A few of my Knives
bladez.jpg

Those are some of the same things I look for and feel a little bit more at ease.Someone that has a presence on the forum and been a member for a year or more and makes posts fairly regularly, is less likely to risk getting booted from the forums over a knife deal.An e-mail with a forum name and an active phone number included makes me feel better.Someone that is out to rip someone off,is not going to want to give his phone number.Obviously feedback in the G,Bad,Ugly forum,good to have a couple of people that are well known on the forum to give you references from past dealings.These things make me feel better about going into a deal with someone I've never dealt with before.I've had a large number of deals on the forums and have had excellent experiences with a few minor problems with a couple of transactions.All in all,most everyone on the forums operates with honesty and integrity.

It's a shame that people do get burned, but from the examples here it is far from normal. I've been lucky (ducking, hoping the jinx bird doesn't take a shot at me...) and haven't been burned through many, say 30 or so, transactions. I've also been lucky that the other half of those transactions felt the same.

I always overstate the imperfections of my knives for sale, I like that. I probably don't get top dollar, but I have yet to have anyone go away mad! I think the detailed descriptions are important, unless the knife is NIB (not LNIB!)

Brandon

------------------
Quis ut Deus

I'll throw in a caution, I had positive feedback but had missed it. It pays to be a bit more careful during searches.

Thank you russ for pointing that out.

DaveH

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">On an occasion or two I've gotten two or even three separate email addresses from one person. </font>

Here's how that can easily happen. I have an ISP that provides five e-mail addresses per account. I gave one each to my wife and two kids, leaving two others. According to my ISP, the primary e-mail address HAD to be a combination of my first initial and last name, so my main e-mail addy is kyates@carolina.rr.com . For the last one I chose one that matched my forum handle - senator@carolina.rr.com . So, when someone uses my BF profile, they'll send me mail using the "senator" address. When I respond, they'll get an e-mail from my primary account - the "kyates" address. So there's two addresses that someone will see.

The third address comes from my Yahoo account. I use Yahoo to access my home e-mail accounts when I'm at work or somewhere else. If there's a message that needs responding to immediately, I'll use the Yahoo account. Of course, I always include the sender's message so the person who wrote me will have a clue who I am.
smile.gif

Also, the first few times I e-mail someone I'll include both my forum handle AND my real name.

I don't usually include my phone number, but I'll think about adding that to future e-mails. That's probably not a bad idea.

------------------
Kelly
My Custom Knife Collection

Member NCCKG, SCAK, and AKTI

Deo Vindice

One factor to look for is the willingness of the seller to furnish tracking numbers, and a contingency plan should the package go astray.

I've been fortunate in the past not to lose a knife being shipped to me or from me, but that doesn't mean that it'll never happen.

I've always furnished a tracking number as soon as the package has left my possession. I also track it from my end to make sure I don't get blindsided by a hiccup in the trasporting and an irrate buyer wondering what happened to their knife.

I've also sent a follow-up e-mail a couple of times after a tracked package is shwont o have been received making sure the package arrived in good condition and the buyer was happy.

Don't be afraid to communicate. I'd much rather get more e-mails than I need than to be left in the dark wondering if my payment even arrived or if my package was ever shipped. I'm sure many of us here feel the same.

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Good point, Don. I have a supply of USPS insurance and delivery confirmation labels, along with plenty of Priority Mail boxes at home. Since I already have the labels, I'll usually send an e-mail to the buyer with the traking number (and a link to the USPS tracking page on their website) and let them know when I expect the package to actually be sent. I'll then follow up with an e-mail to confirm when the package actually was sent so they can track it.

The USPS tracking isn't as comprehensive as the UPS or FedEx systems, but it does help the buyer know that the knife was sent when the seller stated it was. It also helps the seller know that the buyer has actually received it. Not a bad deal for $0.35.

I'll hang onto the buyers money until they get back with me to let me know that they received the knife, and that they are totally satisfied with it.

------------------
Kelly
My Custom Knife Collection

Member NCCKG, SCAK, and AKTI

Deo Vindice

A phone call works wonders!

This is very importent to me since email can be and has been lost in the past. ISP's die and internet accounts are closed unexpectedly. When you have someone's phone number in addition to their mailing address, problems or confusion in general can be cleared up in a hurry putting all parties at ease.

Stay Sharp,
Sid

Back