Semi-OT: How to Forge a Pole-axe/Bardiche?

I was wondering if anyone had any good information on how to forge a pole-axe? The long-bladed type, connecting with a socket on top and bottom, or a little tang on the bottom. I also like the spear head type connecting pole-arms, but I'd imagine it's easier to forge a ring-shaped connector than that type. I think the pole-arm type I like is called a bardiche, but the definitions of those things are so foggy.. (I don't think the smiths themselves had a classification for what they made back then, sometimes)

What size/shape/type steel would be best for this project? Something like 1050? Would I start with round bar, or something like 1/4" flat?

If someone knows of a video/book w/ plenty of pictures, that'd be great too, or could recommend a good forging video, period.

Thanks for the help :)

I'd check out anvilfire.com. they have projectls like helms and viking spears. if nothing else there'll be a smith on there you can ask who belongs to some re-enactment society.

Bardiches were traditionally made in several pieces. The blade was forged out, sometimes all steel, sometimes iron with a steel bit, like axes. the rings/sockets were then welded to the blade.

I would start with 1/4" or 3/16" flat stock, and make the sockets out of 1/8" strips, or 12 guage sheet. If you are not good at forgewelding, and are going to use an electrical welder, get a filler rod that is compatable with your tool steel. for 10xx steels, a 7018 or 7014 stick, or an er70 wire should work well, if you are using a L6, O1, or 8670, then get an oil hardening filler rod(1/16, 3/32, and 1/8" O1 drill rod can be used for TIG welding)

hope this helps
Ken

Here is a simplified method to make a simple spear top Bardiche. It requires minimal equipment and a basic knowledge of forge welding. And of course, a forge big enough to work the bardiche. The same procedure can be used for any similar socket type axe weapon.

First make a drift from mild steel round stock to match the pole end shape. A tapered oval is preferred, but a tapered round works,too. Get a sheet of 1/4" steel (1050,5160,etc.) and cut out the basic profile of the blade and spike (A hawk shape). Cut out two long thin triangular pieces of the same type of steel about 1/8" thick.The height is the spear tip to socket length, and the base is half the circumference of the pole tip. These two pieces of steel will make the socket and spear. Start by forge welding the spear tip (triangle points) together for the length of the spear blade. Weld up solid , do the rough shaping, and move to the axe blade assembly. Open the unwelded part of the spear/socket piece to the weld joint. Clean up the inside with a file to remove scale. File/sand/grind the face of the axe blade to expose a clean surface. Grind/file a "V" in the top edge where the spear will meet the blade. Adjust fit to be as close as needed, and proceed to forge weld the spear to the blade. Once all welds are solid, use the drift to shape the pole socket. You can forge weld the socket sides together, gas/arc weld it, or leave the two pieces unjointed (use two or three bolts/rivets to attach the pole in this case).
Once the socket is shaped to the desired taper and all, go back and start forging out the blade and spike. While doing this you will fair in the joints of the spear/socket until it is a smooth rib in the center. Grind/sand/polish to as much final finish as you desire. Now (using a torch ) edge harden the blade. I would leave the spear soft,but you can harden it . The spike should be left soft. Temper at 350 . Etch the entire thing in FC to age it and give it that old metal look. Buff with 4/0 steel wool. Fit the pole. Oil/wax everything well.
Voila! you are the proud owner of a Bardiche.
If the project is purely for display use, you can just arc weld the parts together, forge /grind as needed,spray with black spray paint, and leave unhardened....but where's the fun in that.
If you don't have a big enough forge to do the spear/blade welds in, you can gas/arc weld the spear/socket to the blade. Use the appropriate welding rods. Or, worst case scenario, you could make iron rivets to rivet the spear/socket piece to the blade)
Hope this helps -
Stacy

Once again you've taken the time to give me a really thorough explanation, Stacy, thanks a bunch! (And thanks to the other people who said stuff)

I won't be able to work on it until I can afford my new forge, (had to spend tax return on my fiancee's prom dress >_> ) but figured I'd go ahead and accumulate information.

No, this won't be for display (That's boring), I want something to (carefully) play with. You know, beheading armies of watermelons and stuff. ;)

Back