1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Semi stainless steel question?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by AshesFall, Feb 19, 2020.

1. AshesFall

AshesFall

Jul 16, 2019
    Just out of random curiosity.

Exactly how many semi stainless steels are out there?

I can only think of D2 and 3V off the top of my head.

2. ace

ace Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2000
    There is no definition for semi stainless so hard to say.

Zwear/PD1/CruWear would be in the same class as 3V. A8mod, etc.

Some consider A8, A2, M4, etc semi stainless too.

Then there is ZDP-189 that is not truly stainless, or XHP, but then there is no real definition for stainless either, so bottom line, hard to say.

AshesFall likes this.
  3. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I believe there is fairly broad agreement that stainless steel is about +11% chromium and <1.2% carbon by alloy mass. I say 'fairly' because I've also seen 12% chromium and 13% chromium, and definitions that disregard carbon percentage.

Of course that's not to say that those steels are automatically more resistant to oxidation than steels that do not meet that definition, as if I recall correctly a stainless blade that has been heat treated such that much of the chromium has formed carbides will be less stain resistant, since free chromium in solution is what contributes to the stain resistance.

AshesFall likes this.
  4. ace

ace Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2000
    Right, that's where it is at, in general. Agree on the broad agreement of 12-13%, but not a definition and bunch that seem to meet this requirement and not be stainless in the broad understanding of stainless, ZDP-189 for example. Semi stainless is even harder, not even a broad agreement of what that is. Something between stainless and non-stainless. So let's say less stainless than 440A (considered stainless by most I assume) and more corrosion resistant than 1095 (considered non-stainless by most). Is A2 semi? Is M4? Do you have to get to the level of 3V or Z-wear?

5. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I have some laminated blades with 420 bread and ZDP-189 bologna. The bread rusts more than the bologna in my experience. 420 is supposed to be highly resistant to corrosion. D-2 turns to red dust in my pocket in the summer.

6. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    I would throw Sleipner in the semi-stainless as well.