Sent my FK to Mashed Cat!

Nystagmus

Gold Member
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to give a heads up that today I mailed my Field Knife into Eric at Mashed Cat. He is going to hang on to it for a couple weeks…..So, if you are wanting a Mashed Cat sheath for your Field Knife, now is the time to connect with him!

*Also want to add that there is nothing wrong with the original Field Knife sheath, but I just love the Mashed Cat design and execution.

I thought the sheath that came with the field knife was from mashed cat?

The new Heavy Duty Field Knives, yes. The discontinued original Field Knife which is the one I believe the OP to be referencing, no.

Yes! The HDFK sheath is what brought me back to Mashed Cat.

I took a Busse kin (in a mashed cat sheath) on a deployment a few years ago. I ended up selling the knife later, but liked the sheath so much I kept it to re-mold for another knife.

When I recently contacted Eric, he didn’t currently have a FK on hand, so I offered to let him hang on to mine for a bit in case anyone else wanted one without the hassle of sending in their knife.

When I recently contacted Eric, he didn’t currently have a FK on hand, so I offered to let him hang on to mine for a bit in case anyone else wanted one without the hassle of sending in their knife.

Like heat_treat, I've been really happy with mine too. Everybody around here has been really good at letting some extra builds happen, very cool :thumbsup: The fold-overs are tight on G10-scaled FKs, but are super nice on the micarta versions. His pancake style is my favorite though, just all kinds of good :)

d0Iwezl.jpg

Like heat_treat, I've been really happy with mine too. Everybody around here has been really good at letting some extra builds happen, very cool :thumbsup: The fold-overs are tight on G10-scaled FKs, but are super nice on the micarta versions. His pancake style is my favorite though, just all kinds of good :)

d0Iwezl.jpg
Is the retention stronger on that taco sheath or are they pretty much the same?
I love the pancake version that I have but a narrower sheath would be nice.

My taco style has somewhat heavier retention than the pancake and feels a bit less "smooth". This in most noticeable when placing the knife into the sheath and the thumb ramp makes removing the knife pretty easy even with the heavier retention. Both of my knives are micarta (though one buffed and one unbuffed) so that is the only handle material I can comment on.

My taco style has somewhat heavier retention than the pancake and feels a bit less "smooth". This in most noticeable when placing the knife into the sheath and the thumb ramp makes removing the knife pretty easy even with the heavier retention. Both of my knives are micarta (though one buffed and one unbuffed) so that is the only handle material I can comment on.
Thank you for the info!

A bit of extra retention won’t bother me so one of these might be the ticket. My daily carry FK has g10 scales so it seems to slide in easily compared to the unbuffed version.

Definitely more retention on the taco style. If you're after a little extra hold I believe you'll like it.

I checked the MC website but didn’t see any offerings for Carothers. Is this a one-off or custom? Has or will he make these beauties for any other Carothers Performance Knives?

Update, I’ve decided to go with leather. It looks like CPirtle makes a nice one.

Last edited:
Definitely more retention on the taco style. If you're after a little extra hold I believe you'll like it.
Thanks bud!
I’m thinking that a slimmer sheath with a tek lok will make it an easier daily carry.
I’ve probably broken more kydex clip than I can remember because they got caught on something or just wore out.

I checked the MC website but didn’t see any offerings for Carothers. Is this a one-off or custom? Has or will he make these beauties for any other Carothers Performance Knives?
He may not have anything in stock at the moment, but he’s great at responding to emails if you’re interested in having him make you something.

The sheaths for the HDFK are made by him and he may be the the provider for the Behemoth Chopper.

I think I like the tapered profile of the Mashed Cat a little better. I’ll drop them a note.
Thanks

Back