Sentinel w/Saw?

Hi all,

I recently fell in love with the bushcrafter but then found out it was discontinued. Led me to ask what features would be included in my ideal SAK. I figured a one hand locking blade and a saw would make an ideal hiking SAK. I couldn't find anything like it until I came across a Sentinel w/saw blade for sale. It just had the one hand locking blade and a saw--nada else. I'm not finding any info on these. Has anybody owned one or heard about them?

Thanks!

That one must have been a custom, or the ad was wrong, as the Saw models are all in the 3 layer range, as far as I can find. One handed Treker or Forrester is as close as you can get I think, depending on what you want on the backside.
Addition, the locks are only in the 111mm size, the smaller alox(93mm) are not locking. Small detail, but makes it easier to visualize what you are referring to if we know which size of knife you are thinking about.

Wish i could provide more info. I don't know a lot about SAKs and I don't remember the size listed. It looked exactly like my soldier but with black scales and nothing but a blade and saw.

I guess we will see when they arrive!

Yeah none, blade and saw are the only tools besides the toothpick and tweezers.

I thought the Sentinel was a one hand locking knife with a blade only. I've never seen one with a saw, but I have seen them with serrated blades.

Wenger Ranger 54 and Wenger Ranger 80 were limited production export models for Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, and Germany. The 54 had a locking blade and wood saw; the 80 added a locking gutting blade. No back layer tools, very unusual. These knives are found with black nylon and stag-horn scales. The consensus among collectors is that the stag-horn scales were added in Eastern Europe. They were beautiful and expensive and there are lots of photographs online. This is a Wenger Ranger 54 with black nylon scales:

Ranger54.jpg

I found a short YouTube video of the Wenger Ranger 54. The background mumbling is Czech and you're not missing anything if you read my last post.

I guess I should add that Wenger is now part of Victorinox and the Ranger 54 is out of production and rare. If you were to find one, IMO the most likely place would be German eBay.

That Ranger is very cool. Same concept but a Vic with the soldier/sentinel profile. Will post a pic when they arrive. I'm wondering if somebody had some spare parts and threw these together.

Package arrived today. It was so skinny, I thought that my wife had ordered a DVD or something. When I saw the Zurich address, I figured I hadn't fully read the auction description and had ordered a picture of a knife or a box. Sure enough, those 2 layers are pretty thin. Knives are Sentinel/Soldier size, one hand openers, w/saw blade. Only other tools are a toothpick and tweezers. Compared to my Soldier and Rescue, I can't tell a difference in contruction or quality. I thought they might be customs but plain-Jane Sentinels cost more on Amazon.

Back