serations suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe im not indiana jones rope bridge cutting enough. just seems a niche use to me...whittling ,box cutting , defense, package opening, skinning, gutting,etc...nearly none of my edc tasks require a saw. if i needed a saw id bring a saw.
I'm not much of an advocate for knives as SD tools, but I will say that if you're thinking about that you do, indeed, want serrations. Just from hobbyist martial arts training, messing around in the backyard and EMT experience I can tell you cutting through clothing is actually something plain edges pretty much suck at. Clothing bunches and snags and deflects plain edged blades much, much more than you would ever think. Good serrations, on the other hand, go right through without noticing.

OK if you cut a lot of coarse stuff but not my preference for EDC. My only serrated knife is a bread knife.

cool ill just mount a sharktooth in some g10 and edc that then. eyeroll. isnt serrations what happens to a steel blade that is chipped...not really a great feature im shooting for but to each his own i guess...maybe can agree to disagree as obviously im not of the majority opinion.

cool ill just mount a sharktooth in some g10 and edc that then. eyeroll. isnt serrations what happens to a steel blade that is chipped...not really a great feature im shooting for but to each his own i guess...maybe can agree to disagree as obviously im not of the majority opinion.
I realize you are a bit new here. So with that said, you either honestly don't know what you are talking about or you are purposely making inflammatory statements. I hope it is the former. This is a great place to learn. If it is the later, then you are just trolling.

not trolling and do appreciate the varying insights. that said....i do carry a corona folder in me truck...

Last edited:
Summary:
1. The OP may or may not be a troll, but came on like one.
2. Serrations have their uses, but I generally prefer a fine edge.

I personally don't have a need for serrations in my daily routine but I know plenty of other people who prefer a half serrated blade due to their daily tasks.

(Just a matter of using the right tool for the job.)

sorry if link broke a rule didnt realize. actually shouldve started the thread as, please educate me on why some prefer serrations or partial because its not intuitive to me.

I don’t mind serrated blades. Not on all my blades, but I do find uses for them.

I have discussed this issue with Serrations.

They've indicated that not only did you spell their name incorrectly, it is agreed that you yourself suck.

On topic, I can say that serrations are seriously useful, especially around the docks where rope, line and netting are prevalent. A plain edged knife that needs a sharpening is really inferior to a good serrated blade halfway through the work day.

Half serrated blades have a bit of a narrower niche, but still have their place.

I like serrations on specific knives. The emergency knife I carry in my truck and the one stashed in my hiking vest sport serrations. I won't be using them everyday, but in an emergency I want good sharp serrations to burn through a seatbelt strap or a knife that can saw its way through rope or rough material quickly in an outdoor emergency.

Serrations, when done well, are specialized blades that do a lot of messy work quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back