SERE 2000 vs. Axis Lock benchmade vs MT LCC?

Hi,

I've been reading the rave reviews about the SERE 2000, and was curious if the liner lock was as strong as the Axis locks on some of the Benchmade models?

I haven't held an Axis lock BM, but do have an AFCK, which I wish was a bit "stronger' in the lockup dept.

How is the lockup of the LCC vs. the SERE? I'm looking for something very strong...

thanks in advance.

Regards,
Francis

I have a SERE 2000 and a BM 730 (Elishewitz Ares copy.) I can't compare the LCC since I don't have one. I personally feel the axis lock will be stronger than just about any liner lock, but it is really a moot point. The liner lock on my SERE is good and thick, engages perfectly (full liner on the blade to the left side,) has just a little bit of stick when you disengage it (this is good,) and has passed every test that is not abusive that I can think of (spine whack, white knuckling, trying to force the knife closed etc.) A good liner lock is plenty good enough. Stronger locks are just icing on the cake. I would not let lock type be the sole deciding factor in purchasing a knife unless the one I was looking at was bad. By the way, my new Strider/Buck folder has a great liner lock also.

I have the SERE, a BM 730, and a MT LCC ( that I'm trying to trade away ). Of all of them, I much prefer the SERE 2000.
The SERE quality, fit & finish, & smoothness are just fantastic, I love a spearpoint blade, and it has great ergonomics.
Now, the BM 730 has most of these also, and it's completely ambidextrous too boot, but the SERE wins out in my opinion.

The LCC is a great knife, but it just doesn't favorably compare to the SERE 2000 or the BM 730.

As far as lockup goes, I have no problems with any of the knives listed above, but to be honest, I do have a bit more faith in the Axis lock...I sure wish they could put that on the SERE
smile.gif

------------------
mikemck@austin.rr.com

All,

thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be ordering a SERE today.. ;-)

thanks again!

Francis

I had a 730, it was very nice. I now own a MT LCC and LOVE IT! I would definately recommend it. Be advised that I am not one of those MT ?? I do not own more than one and was not a big fan. But the LCC ROCKS!!

------------------
Brian

While they are both good knives, if I had to pick I would take the SERE. The SB1 is made intentionally dull on the tanto tip edge. This is suppossed to be so you can pry, dig etc. without chipping, but I would prefer it sharp. The primary edge is razor sharp just like the SERE. The SERE handle is a little more comfortable. The satin finish on the vg10 should be more rust resistant than the bead blasted finish on the ats34. I have had ats34 that was bead blasted rust on me in the field before. They are both overbuilt and either one would make a good last ditch tool or weapon. I don't want to get rid of either one.

I think the question you need to ask is what happens over time, due to wear. The axis lock is designed to maintain lockup even after significant wear occurs. Most liner locks are not designed very well to compensate for significant wear. One of the reasons I like the framelock of the sebenza is that the blade stop is actually a cam that can be adjusted for wear.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Francis I don,t own a SERE2000 but handled one at the recent NY show. It,s impressive- almost custom in the fit and finish area. Also comfortable in the hand. It,s on my list. I own the LCC and it is a beauty. Again virtually custom in materials and finishing. Locks up better than many customs. Any of BM,s Axis models are also excellent. I particularly like the 730 and 710. The knife choices just keep getting better. Buy them all!

Francis,

Get the SERE. It's the best knife of the year IMO. I just bought another one for my Dad whose birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm halfway tempted to buy yet another so I can have a backup in case mine is lost or stolen or the line is discontinued. Can't imagine why they'd do that though.

Only thing is, when you get it you may want to use a Dremel and smooth out a few sharp edges on the liners and stick a couple of pieces of heat shrink tubing on the thumbstuds for better traction and less sore fingers. I figure for around $100 bucks one can't expect the finish of a Sebenza.

------------------
Peter Atwood

email:fountainman@hotmail.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fountainman:
Francis,

Get the SERE. It's the best knife of the year IMO. I just bought another one for my Dad whose birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm halfway tempted to buy yet another so I can have a backup in case mine is lost or stolen or the line is discontinued. Can't imagine why they'd do that though.
</font>

I worry about not being able to get another SERE also, for those same reasons...glad I'm not the only one that thinks that way. Of course, the wife just looks at me funny when I try to explain these things....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Only thing is, when you get it you may want to use a Dremel and smooth out a few sharp edges on the liners and stick a couple of pieces of heat shrink tubing on the thumbstuds for better traction and less sore fingers. I figure for around $100 bucks one can't expect the finish of a Sebenza.

Yes, the edges on the liners are a bit sharp, and it doesn't take much to just break the edge on them, but it makes a world of difference...haven't tried the tubing trick yet, but it won't be long now.

Does anyone have any contact information for Al Mar Knives? How about warranty info?
I bought my SERE 2000 brand new, but it didn't come with any paperwork at all, which I found to be a bit surprising. And, I don't see any information on the Al Mar website either.

------------------
mikemck@austin.rr.com

[This message has been edited by mikemck (edited 01-01-2001).]

request a catalog from almarknives.com

they will give you warranty info on the inside of the pamphlet.

Mike,

Definitely do the heat shrink tubing. You can just wave a hair dryer or heat gun over it and the stuff shrinks up nice and neat. If there's a bit of extra a single edge razor or exacto will take it off and leave a nice neat silver dot in the center. Makes a world of difference! I just wish I could do that on some of my other knives, trouble is, the SERE never leaves my pocket.

------------------
Peter Atwood

email:fountainman@hotmail.com

Even better, I found some clear heat-shrink tubing at Frys (giant toystore for computer geeks). When it's shrunk into place, it's nearly invisible.

------------------
Carl /\/\/\ AKTI #A000921 /\/\/\ San Diego, California

Think this through with me ... Let me know your mind
Wo-oah, what I want to know ... is are you kind?
-- Hunter/Garcia, "Uncle John's Band"

[This message has been edited by Carl Jacobsen (edited 01-03-2001).]

Back