Sere 2000

UPS just delivered and it looks great, except for the shiny clip. I just have one question and it isn't any more than curiosity. The blade is labeled as made in Japan. How does this work? Do the designers put together a design on the computer, assemble a prototype and then find someone to manufacture the product? Does Al Mar make the body, but purchase the blade? I've no problem with blades made in Japan. Obviously, there is a long distinguished blade tradition that can't be faulted.

The blade seems to be sharp from the manufacturer. Anyone know what angle to use for sharpening? It looks in the neighborhood of twenty-five degrees.

[This message has been edited by Gary H (edited 01-08-2001).]

Congratulations Gary, great knife! Can't help you with your questions but I would suggest throwing a little piece of heat shrink tubing over the thumbstuds to make them more comfortable and give you more positive traction. As far as the clip goes, get it sand blasted. It takes all of about 2 minutes to do it and anyone with a blaster would probably do it for practically nothing.

Cheers,

------------------
Peter Atwood

email:fountainman@hotmail.com

O.K., I'm lowering my expectations.. Anyone know what angle is used on the SERE 2000?

Al Mar's web site is rather spartan, to say the least..no contact information.

Gary,

I am interested in hearing answers to all your questions too. I have been wondering the same things. Hopefully someone knows the answers.

shane

------------------
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepards the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children, and I will stike down upon the with great vengance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengance upon the.

Ezekiel 25:17

I can't say for certain with the SERE 2K, as I've not heard an authoritative explanation, but my understanding is that Al Mar Knives has always followed a pattern of designing/prototyping their knives in-house, and then contracting out the construction work to various of Japan's Seki City knifemaking companies. This is a quite common practice in the industry -- Spyderco, for instance, manufactures a few of their models in their Colorado office/factory, and has most of the rest built under contract in Japan. (Rumor has it that the same factory produces the Al Mar Ultralight series and some of the micarta handled Spyderco models, accounting for some of the similarities in construction details.)

No idea on the sharpening angle, by the way; the factory angle seems to work exceedingly well, so I'd tend to use the magic marker trick to resharpen to the same angle (for anyone not familiar with this technique, you use a black magic marker to put a spot on the existing edge, then make a very light single pass over the spot with the sharpener set to various angles to see which one sharpens across the entire width of the edge, thus duplicating the edge angle -- works especially with sharpeners where you can continually adjust the angle, like the EdgePro Apex).

------------------
Carl /\/\/\ AKTI #A000921 /\/\/\ San Diego, California

Think this through with me ... Let me know your mind
Wo-oah, what I want to know ... is are you kind?
-- Hunter/Garcia, "Uncle John's Band"

Back