Sergiusz Mitin, please give us a review of...

Mr. Mitin, you have given reviews of the Yari, Nimravus and Recondo. I said a year ago that small fixed blades will be "the thing", and it seems that this is so. There are a few small fixed blades from Spiderco, Benchmade, SOG, Camillus, and others that are all part of thsi new category. The three mentioned above, along with knives like the Camillus CQB-2, are all small, easily concealed fighting/utility blades.

Though you said in your Yari/nimravis review that you didn't want to express your opinion about which knife you like better, I am wondering if you could do the following for me and the other forumites.

For those looking for the "perfect" production small fixed blade that will do well at utility tasks and excell at defense, which of the knives you have reviewed would you choose, and why? Your reviews are awesome, informative and your arguments are compelling. It would do me and others a great service if you could provide such a "review", even if quite brief.

Saying that I do not want to point which knife is better I have used not too accurate term. Much more properly would be to say I really can't to do it. I like knives a lot and I wonder elegance and usefulness of designs, more in some cases and less in others. But it is really impossible for me to say with clear cut - this knife is the best for me for certain tasks.

Well, lets try to take somewhat more careful look on the knives suitable for specified tasks - concealed carry in urban environment for utilitarian and probably defensive purposes.

I would divide the knives for specified needs into two groups:
  • Medium sized knives like BM Nimravus, GERBER Yari, KA-BAR D2 Impact, Fällkniven S1, SOG Recondo, Camillus CQB-1
  • Small fixed blades like BM Nimravus Cub, SPYDERCO Bill Moran Featherweight, KA-BAR Impact in 1095 steel, Fällkniven F1, CRKT Companion, Camillus CQB-2 and Talon
Each of them has certain advantages and disadvantages. I can't evaluate Camillus CQB's and Talon because I do not have them.
Speaking about strictly production knives we should reject also all knives with sheaths not suitable for urban concealed carry. The sheath for these purposes is more important than knife as itself and it is really hard to imagine how I could carry Recondo, Fällknivens or KA-BARs concealed with their original sheaths.

So we have to choose among not too many knives and I really can't say what is the best for me. If I'm going with concealed fixed blade in urban environment more often I go with SPYDERCO Bill Moran Featherweight (drop point) or BENCHMADE Nimravus Cub. Someone else could probably have another preferences, it would be pretty interesting to discuss them here.

I appreciate this further information you have provided very much. Thank-you Serguisz for your time and awesome reviews.

I just considered that I have forgot to mention TIMBELINE Aviator in small knife category. It has nice multi-carry sheath (harness option included), quite suitable dimensions, it is light and comfortable to handle.

If they finally would equip it with decent knife blade instead of chisel it currently has - it would be very sensible knife for specified purposes.

Back