Serial Numbers

DeSotoSky

Gold Member
Another thread got me to thinking, does a low serial number really have any special meaning to the quality of a knife, is it truly the first one made,
or is it just the first knife "the serial numbering guy" pulled randomly out of a box?

Seems at one time there was something about #001 being Chuck's and #002 Houser's or?

That leads to a different question, does anyone care about the serial numbers, high or low?
Would you pay more for a low serial number knife? Dealers seem to think you will, I don't personally.

I would rather see a "1 of XXX" scheme giving all the knives in the series equal weight.

Some folks like to collect a particular number (Armand's is 52) and BCCI members number carry a little premium like a few of Joe Houser's Bucks do. I personally like salesmen samples that don't have the usual number on them because to me that makes them odd. I like 'Billboards' blades,even simple pad prints and advertising knives, for collecting. But not as a user because most flake or wear off.

Serial numbers don't mean much to me. I wouldn't pay extra for it.
I remember before they went bankrupt, Schrade had a small font SN on the guard of a fixed blade, or hid a SN on one of the liners or bolsters, (folding knife) that people could use to "register" their knife, so they could get a free replacement "when" they "lost" it.
Yeah .... Schrade really was fool enough to guarantee against loss.
I wonder how many knives sent out over the years for loss, were really lost. My guess is a small minority.
Unquestionably there were some who saw that as "Buy One Get (more than) One Free." The replacement was guaranteed against loss as well.

As for quality, I'd expect the same no matter how high or low the number, and the un-numbered knives (if any) to be of the same quality as the numbered ones.

"1 of XXX" is read by some (many? ... most?) to = "First one of XXX". 🙄

when buying a SO or LE knife I do like to see them numbered. However, I could care less what number I got. Buck has often used the left over parts from a SO/LE to do build out runs and these are not numbered, sometimes they even use the original SO/LE number on the box label. I don't like paying a high price for what I think is one of the SO/LE knives and find it's build out knife! Sometimes the seller has no clue it's a build out knife.

I would rather have them without numbers. I use all my knives so I don’t keep them set apart as special. It’s distracting to me and it might even make them more appealing to a thief.
I’m not sure but I don’t think low numbers are any more special than higher numbers or made any different. Maybe to a collector that wants low numbers or if perhaps they are signed, have special adornment or materials that make them special and registered in a special way that probably would garner a higher price.

It's a collector thing, isn't it? Sometimes serial numbers can tell you something about Date of Manufacture. But, other than that, I can't think of any reason to worry about it unless it has a "cool factor" for you. (Lot numbers on certain beverages are more important.)

As for numbering in and of itself, I'm with Lesknife Lesknife . I like things that are numbered.

I was unaware that Buck knives had serial numbers! Where are they typically located?

BCCI members number carry a little premium like a few of Joe Houser's Bucks do.
To me the BCCI knives that come up for sale with the old member number are a little less desireable because the number is odd and had meaning only to the original owner.
I agree about liking the "sample" knives that missed the serial number. I came up with the 4 knife 75th 119 set without sn's. It had passed from an employee thru several resellers hands before I acquired it.

Last edited:
I was unaware that Buck knives had serial numbers! Where are they typically located?
Limited edition runs are frequently numbered. Usually engraved directly on the blade. For example xxx/yyy
The numbers are specific to that run or edition. There are some other less common schemes.
They are not "serial numbers" in the same sense as say a firearm where all are numbered.

I am interested in total numbers made though, which may tell how popular a given model is.
On the 110 blade: "1 of 15,859,362* & Counting" or "1 of Over 15 Million"? :)

If not too late, etch "16 Millionth 110" and the date on the blade and a bolster on that particular knife when made?
(hopefully it will be a standard brass 'n wood 110, not part of a SFO, or a Custom Shop job, or of the LT or Auto series.)

(*A guess how any have been sold since introduced ... or have they passed 16 million already?)

Limited edition runs are frequently numbered. Usually engraved directly on the blade. For example xxx/yyy
The numbers are specific to that run or edition. There are some other less common schemes.
They are not "serial numbers" in the same sense as say a firearm where all are numbered.

Thanks!

The 50th Anniversary 110's are in a set together each numbered with the same number all four. There were only 110 sets made. Then looking on the bay I saw a Magnolia with a number from a set and I bought it. The set was broken up for some reason. So I just say my set is one of 109 because I have a knife from another set.

Back