1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Serious free haul!!!

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fletcher Knives, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Fletcher Knives

Fletcher Knives STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO Moderator

Aug 30, 2007
    So in Lebanon, Ohio, Orange Osage is a very common tree. You can find them all over and all you have to do if you aren't sure is look for the fruit. Whilst coming back from my canoeing trip with Sarah's father, we came across a man felling a tree in his front yard.
    I said, "HIT THE BRAKES!"
    Sarah's father said, "What!! What is it?"
    I said, "I'll be right back."
    I noticed the fruit all around the tree. I asked the man, "are you cutting down an Orange Osage?"
    He said, "Yeah... so?"
    I said, "Do you mind if I take a few pieces with me?"
    He said, "Not at all. Grab all you want."
    So, I grabbed a few BIG logs of it and threw them in the back of Sarah's dad's truck. It was a trick getting all of them in Sarah's little Honda Civic along with all of our stuff for the trip home, but I did it. Now I've got a buttload of knife handles waiting to be shaped out of logs.

Here are some pictures. I also grabbed some of the fruit for pictures. Some people have never seen the fruit of that tree before and it looks crazy. It's like a tighly wound green brain or a grapefruit sized lime with genital warts. Anyways, here ya go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. Grampa

Grampa

Jan 17, 2006
    Sweet! I love Osage - so tough and durable, and so common in the midwest! Just wish we had it growing here in SoCal!

3. koyote

koyote

Mar 29, 2007
    i love to use it, and i had a PILE, but it's runing out. Wish it did grow local.

4. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    What a great score! Some of the best things in life don't cost a thing. And on top of that, the guy was probably elated that you were willing to "help" him get rid of it. :thumbup:

5. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Nice Dylan!....Might have a good bow stave in there!! I love osage, got a pile of it myself.

6. rocketbomb

rocketbomb

Apr 25, 2007
    Man I was wondering what those things were. I know of a few of those trees down south, I'll be keeping an eye out for any I can salvage.

7. falcon72

falcon72

Mar 11, 2008
    Nice sore Dyl! Sounds like you had a good trip to boot.

8. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike

Mar 21, 2006
    very nice score dude...:thumbup: i wish that stuff grew around here too...:eek:

9. mymindisamob

mymindisamob

Feb 1, 2005
    Very nice score. Congrats!

10. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Good reason to come out for a visit bro!:thumbup:;)

11. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Damn! Thats sweet!!! Its gotta age for a LONG time now bro. It would go quicker if it was cut and stickered. Suwanee Lumber can do it. The shorter pieces they're gonna laugh at though.

Also, did that all come from trunkwood???? If it came from the limbs, discard it.

12. Fletcher Knives

Fletcher Knives STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO Moderator

Aug 30, 2007
    I think two of the pieces were limb. Is that stuff a no go?

13. beesee

beesee

Mar 25, 2006
    Wowzers. How did those branches fit in a Honda Civic?? LOL

14. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Branches grow in compression and tension at the same time. The bottom of the branch is in compression, the top is in tension. That is good firewood, or if you have a project in mind where splitting and checking isn't a biggie. But for a handle, or bow, or carving, or anything like that, the wood has to be trunk wood.

15. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    So cool. I didn't know that at all. I love learning new stuff! :thumbup: